• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keep a look out for this van

What is an EU , am I missing something ? Anyway Re Jonny foreigner and his haul of fish . Yes pretty poor form and definetly not in the spirit of our fishing ways in the UK and it was right that he was challenged , when in Rome etc . However it is legal to take fish for the pot in this country . Perhaps we are giving out a bit of a mixed message to our European friends . No you shouldn't be killing fish , we don't do that here , but yes it is legal to do so , and we don't mind you buying the same fish we treasure so much in Tesco . Makes no sense to me :confused:

What is an EU , am I missing something ? Anyway Re Jonny foreigner and his haul of fish . Yes pretty poor form and definetly not in the spirit of our fishing ways in the UK and it was right that he was challenged , when in Rome etc . However it is legal to take fish for the pot in this country . Perhaps we are giving out a bit of a mixed message to our European friends . No you shouldn't be killing fish , we don't do that here , but yes it is legal to do so , and we don't mind you buying the same fish we treasure so much in Tesco . Makes no sense to me :confused:

It is legall to take fish, but only 15 not exceeding 20 cm in length, under 8 inches. Excluding pike.

Let's not get bogged down here, that was a criminal act he committed , irrespective of his nationality.

Absolutely right Neil , he was breaking the law and should face the consequences , but as the law is somewhat of an ass in this area , and there are precious few officers of the law to uphold it , it would appear that a good citizen was forced to take action , and fair play to him for doing so

To a degree i agree with Mike. They should have made the law simpler. No fish to be taken or no fish to be taken without the riparian owners permission.

That said supposedly ignorance of the law is not a defence except we bend over backwards in the country for foreigners, most countries are the opposite, you break their laws they throw the book at you.

I know it doesn't work but wasn't the principle of the Magna Carta that all men (and women) are equal in the eyes of the law :)

Ray if you read my post again I think you will see I said "there can be absolutely no justification for actions in question". And I have never caught a 2lb roach so I am not exactly keen on one appearing on my plate and I wonder how it was acquired, though I have my ideas on that.

Derek, I think Sainsbury's buy their stock from suppliers who have been subject to a company vetting procedure not a geezer with a white van.
As Paul refers to in the previous post many people I know rather perversely believe catching fish only to return them is cruel whereas it is perfectly fine to catch them and kill them whether to eat yourself or feed to the cat (they assume they are eaten in some way and not just disposed of).

What disappoints me is that our legislation hasn't moved on since the days of gudgeon parties and protection is completely inadequate. However you have to wonder if we did have adequate laws whether the police/EA/RSPCA would bother to enforce them.

....I think Sainsbury's buy their stock from suppliers who have been subject to a company vetting procedure not a geezer with a white van.

Quite true, but I cant help but wonder who the company subject to Sainsbury's vetting procedure buy their stock from.

To assume that just because it's a big company like Sainsbury's that there is some sort of implicit legitimacy is rather hopeful. As previous scandals from the likes of Primark will testify, so long as they can put the distance of a layer or two in the supply chain between them and any dirt then most big companies will turn a blind eye to anything a little bit shady.

What disappoints me is that our legislation hasn't moved on since the days of gudgeon parties and protection is completely inadequate. However you have to wonder if we did have adequate laws whether the police/EA/RSPCA would bother to enforce them.

Im not sure what makes you think this is the case seeing as new legislation was introduced in 2010 which severely restricted the number of coarse fish that may be taken on rod and line in any one day.

http://www.gethooked.co.uk/files/Fish_Removal_Byelaw_2010.pdf

It makes no difference what laws are brought in, the will and the manpower needed to enforce these laws is not there, lip service will be paid by the authorities to angling as it always has done. More organised lip service I grant you but lip service all the same.

I have just read of yet another case where a bailiff apprehended a poacher with fish in a bag, the police were called and surprise surprise never turned up, the thief escaped.

The last three poaching incidents down here have all resulted in arrests and successful prosecutions with the EA, the police and local bailiffs all working together.

Perhaps we are just lucky in this area, our local police will also come out to assist in removing canoeists who refuse to stop.

You can forget getting any sympathy from the RSPCA, a candidate for the CEO job likened farming to the Holocaust and is a vehement animal rights activist, Peta Watson Smith. The whole organisation has been taken over by animal rights activists and I understand that there have even been questions raised over the Royal Charter for the organisation.

You can forget getting any sympathy from the RSPCA, a candidate for the CEO job likened farming to the Holocaust and is a vehement animal rights activist, Peta Watson Smith. The whole organisation has been taken over by animal rights activists and I understand that there have even been questions raised over the Royal Charter for the organisation.

She has a very appropriate first name, Peta :(

I've just re-read this thread in its entirety.

I'm out of here.

Rob Stoker, you mate should read my post properly before taking a complete
misinterpretation of what i stated,
i was merely pointing out that if all freshwater fish apart from game fish was made illegal to EAT! then anyone caught with one would need a bloody good barrister to get that one off the hook
my 1st comment about tyres i stand by firmly, tyres cost money.....live replacement fish costs money, so as far as i am concerned if the git who nickd em got his tyres done and a load of fish in the van then he got his deservings
plain and simple.
oh and by the way i have polish guys working for me so theres no racism about me mate
very interesting that the post i put up showed one post in front of this one, it was in fact posted .the sat before this, can anybody look into how the post got moved a week please

Back