• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Jw young superlight weight reviews anyone?

Jon Kennard

I'm considering buying the superlight weight pin. Has anyone used one and recommends them for in the water trotting for barbel and chub?
Annoyingly I was offered a good price on the light weight but missed it! I've bought the cadence 14 #4 float rod and it's a tad on the heavier side! I was thinking matching it with this reel will lighten the load financially and physically 😆

Hiya Jon,

Which size SL is it? I had the 4” and it was indeed very light. I sold it because I didn’t like the feel of the perforated back plate when I was fishing with it. It worked well enough though.

I would say that a very light reel isn’t going to help you with that rod unfortunately. IIRC they weigh about 270g which is an absolute beast of a rod.

Cheers Alan yes I know! 😬 I cannot fault the service and care I've received with regards advice etc. I've also had a weight fitted which apparently makes the rod more balanced which they did for me for free. I'm yet to use it for barbel but to be fair it feels OK. I was going to push to the accolyte specimen. I know what it will do is handle solid fish in fast currents and snaggy swims. Thanks for the advice

Cheers Alan yes I know! 😬 I cannot fault the service and care I've received with regards advice etc. I've also had a weight fitted which apparently makes the rod more balanced which they did for me for free. I'm yet to use it for barbel but to be fair it feels OK. I was going to push to the accolyte specimen. I know what it will do is handle solid fish in fast currents and snaggy swims. Thanks for the advice
You’re very welcome. From my perspective there comes a point when balance becomes immaterial compared to the overall weight. Even if you had a 4.5” SL reel it would be making the overall weight close to half a kilogram and that’s just not fun to trot with.

I’ve got the 4.5” version and it’s a brilliant reel. Like all JWY reels, very well made & finished. As Alan said above, it is very light. That’s its USP so you might be missing out with it on a heavier rod.

I usually use mine on my light trotting set up (Ac Ultra) for roach, dace etc but no problems with bigger fish.
IMG_9929.jpeg

IMG_9922.jpeg

Ow some lovely photos there 😍. The one I was looking at is the 4 inch 3/4 so the superlight is 180 grams! I would switch lines on it from time to time.

When you do the maths a light rod and average reel isn't that much difference. I guess I'm used to using weights each day doing trade work.

I’ve also got the 4.5 inch both the super light and standard BJ version.

In a nutshell the super light is a young’s Bob James with more holes in it.
It’s a nice pin to trot with but personally I prefer the Bob James with the solid back plate. Feels more rigid and solid and I’d say better suited for big fish.

I have one of these and I love it. Light, well engineered and a thing of beauty. The only drawback is that the open design means that general crud can get into the reel and I sometimes have to do quick clean on the bank to get things spinning freely again. If you are fishing with maggots, I would avoid adding maize to them. This definitely gums up the works!

I have one of these and I love it. Light, well engineered and a thing of beauty. The only drawback is that the open design means that general crud can get into the reel and I sometimes have to do quick clean on the bank to get things spinning freely again. If you are fishing with maggots, I would avoid adding maize to them. This definitely gums up the works!
Yep…. I always get my maggots maize and dust free for that exact purpose.

Hi Jon
I have 5 of the JW Young BJ reels and love them
If interested I would be willing to sell a Super Lightweight 4 1/2" complete with box, zip pouch and papers.
Really excellent condition £245 inc of postage
I love em too. My favourite design of youngs pin purely on the fact that the check lever is positioned in the perfect place to slip on with one hand while you deal with the fish in the water.
It drives me mad when they put it on the bottom of the back plate

Back