• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

jw young 12ft 2lb barbel rod

Mark Graves

hi just wondering if any of you guys have owned or used one of these rods as i would be very interested of any info ie like how much lead you can chuck out also how do they play like any inf would be good

Hello Mark,
I have a couple of these rods. I got rid of my John Wilson 11/13' 1.75lb rod after I found the action far too spongy and without backbone with a reasonable fish attached.

By comparison, the JW Young 12' 2lb feels good but is still not poker stiff.

Unless you are intending banging out huge feeders across the Trent then these should do OK. I was casting 5oz or so on the Severn without too much stress. That said, if you intend to cast such big weights and larger regularly you should look at 2.25lb or 2.5lb rods.

Build quality is variable. The first rod I bought was fine but the second has the common issue of the reel seat coming somewhat loose.

The handle is a touch short for my taste. I think the rod would be better balanced with a few more inches on that end but it isn't a deal breaker. Also, the quiver tip eyes are fairly small if you are using heavy mono as I do. The main issue here is casting distance can be reduced. However, using the other non quiver tip is not a problem.

The 'cloth' bag is not good quality either. One has split so the rod hangs out of the end. I don't use the supplied hard case as it is quite heavy so I just keep the two in a standard rod tube.

With the standard tip the rods work well for tench, bream and smaller carp. I have caught fish up towards the 20lb mark and they have coped admirably.

So all in all, nice rods if you get them cheap on eBay etc. Otherwise, there are plenty of alternatives with a similar spec and price. I am sure some people will chime in with some suggestions.

Regards,
Stephen

Hello Mark,
I have a couple of these rods. I got rid of my John Wilson 11/13' 1.75lb rod after I found the action far too spongy and without backbone with a reasonable fish attached.

By comparison, the JW Young 12' 2lb feels good but is still not poker stiff.

Unless you are intending banging out huge feeders across the Trent then these should do OK. I was casting 5oz or so on the Severn without too much stress. That said, if you intend to cast such big weights and larger regularly you should look at 2.25lb or 2.5lb rods.

Build quality is variable. The first rod I bought was fine but the second has the common issue of the reel seat coming somewhat loose.

The handle is a touch short for my taste. I think the rod would be better balanced with a few more inches on that end but it isn't a deal breaker. Also, the quiver tip eyes are fairly small if you are using heavy mono as I do. The main issue here is casting distance can be reduced. However, using the other non quiver tip is not a problem.

The 'cloth' bag is not good quality either. One has split so the rod hangs out of the end. I don't use the supplied hard case as it is quite heavy so I just keep the two in a standard rod tube.

With the standard tip the rods work well for tench, bream and smaller carp. I have caught fish up towards the 20lb mark and they have coped admirably.

So all in all, nice rods if you get them cheap on eBay etc. Otherwise, there are plenty of alternatives with a similar spec and price. I am sure some people will chime in with some suggestions.

Regards,
Stephen

An excellent and very informative post. You should write reviews on a regular basis.

An excellent and very informative post. You should write reviews on a regular basis.

Thanks guys, glad to help :)

Traffic is a bit slow on here at the moment so I suggest maybe a search on the forum might provide some more answers.

All the best,
Stephen

Back