• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Just Re Spooled

Dave Brooksbank

Senior Member & Supporter
Anyone making a change in a different make of mono line this new season or are you keeping with what you confidentiality are happy with?
I'm sticking with the same Brand but am changing from green to clear.
Just thought I would test the clear out as it has a higher breaking strain than the green in the same diameter, so have gone down from 12 green to 10 clear.Any thoughts

I have spoiled up one spool with fox illusion trans khaki Fluoro gonna give it a try on the small rivers

I was thinking of switching to gold label this season, find GR60 poor for memory/line twist. Anyone recommend Gold Label ?

I have spoiled up one spool with fox illusion trans khaki Fluoro gonna give it a try on the small rivers
Weird how they can make a line for years and call it "invisible in water" ... then change the colour of it/actually add colour to it, and still say it's invisible. Even if a line was identical in colour to the river bed then that would mean that it would show up strongly as it leaves that bed. And, looking upwards, the line rising towards the surface would exhibit a high contrast difference to the white/grey/blue sky. That is, any line could (logically) only be (anywhere near) invisible on one of the three planes (up/down/across).
IMHO :p
Ok fluoro sinks well, but other than that I'm not a fan.

Gold label is great -if you can find a supplier. Due to lack of shops stocking it, I changed to ESP Synchro after recommendations from others and confirm that it performs well. I use big game on my floodwater rods.

I was thinking of switching to gold label this season, find GR60 poor for memory/line twist. Anyone recommend Gold Label ?

I've been using 10lb GLT Pro-Gold for tenching for several seasons, very happy with it. Casts superbly, sinks well, great abrasion qualities. No obvious issues with line twist more than other mono's I've used, don't see any reason to change it. I've use 16lb Pro-Clear which is the equivalent to 12lb Pro-Gold for the Trent, really happy with it and will stock with it I think, although i'm not sure it's any better than 12lb GR60 clear which I rate highly.

Re Flourocarbon mainlines - I'm struggling to see what advantage they have when river fishing. Sinking lines are useful for still water angling, but in moving water the sinking qualities of a mainline is pretty irrelevant isn't it? Or am I missing something? Plus I always thought that barbel are more likely to spook when brushing against something they can't see?

Low diameter, stretch and sinks nicely - Shimano Technium Invisitec. However, expensive (now available in 300m £8 spools, rather than the bulk ones at £30 ish.)

I like Flourocarbon hook lengths, not fussed as a main line.
Last two seasons I’ve been on Berkeley Triline XT in 10lb BS but tbh it’s very thick at 0.35mm and I have considered a change. Most all of my Barbel fishing takes place in gin clear water. I may try going back to braid but I found it creates issues with hook pulls and straightening. Or I may just not bother “fixing” what’s not broken.

Jusr re-spooled with Daiwa Sensor for the 5th season in a row. I think this is the third bulk spool in all that time, at about £8 a spool, covering several reels for me and a couple for my Mrs.

In clear water not too snaggy with small mainly natural baits my set up is: Daiwa sensor main, pinned down with backlead, fluoro hooklength, size 12/14 hook.

on rock/amongst rocks in fast water with big baits: Daiwa sensor main, not pinned, long braid hooklength, size 8/10 hook.

Been using Daiwa Sensor in 12lb for years for carp and barbel

GT80 12lb for Wye and Rocky Severn bits. (Found it better than GR60)
Adrennaline 10lb on WAvon or smaller rivers.

Hooklink. Powerpro Super slick 8 in 15lb.

Back