• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

June 16 and why I am upset

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
I drove the 2 1/2 hours to the Middle River Trent very early on June 15 and secured my peg for the coming season but was proper pissed off when opposite were 2 guys fishing using rubber fish lures from the conversation I could hear I am 90% sure they were polish
I saw them catch 2 Pike and they way they were wooping and high fiving each other both fish both looked like decent size doubles and were kept not returned !!!!!!!
I phone the number on my my licence and reported it I was told they only had 3 people to cover all the rivers in the area !!!!! and unlikely they could get anyone down
next day Saturday June 16 they were back with wives and kids doing the same thing the Notts fed Bailiff arrived and he also reported it
Sunday 0730 they were back again and in quite sure they will carry on with no one doing anything about it
its sady free fishing on that bank its down stream of Clifton Bridge opposite the Notts Fed Stretch

If the Pike were over 35cm they were breaking the law.

Its no surprise that the EA couldn't/wouldn't attend, licence fees have risen and anglers get a poorer service, maybe you should have phoned the police as advised by the Angling Trust but from experience I doubt you would have got a different response.

I drove the 2 1/2 hours to the Middle River Trent very early on June 15 and secured my peg for the coming season but was proper pissed off when opposite were 2 guys fishing using rubber fish lures from the conversation I could hear I am 90% sure they were polish
I saw them catch 2 Pike and they way they were wooping and high fiving each other both fish both looked like decent size doubles and were kept not returned !!!!!!!
I phone the number on my my licence and reported it I was told they only had 3 people to cover all the rivers in the area !!!!! and unlikely they could get anyone down
next day Saturday June 16 they were back with wives and kids doing the same thing the Notts fed Bailiff arrived and he also reported it
Sunday 0730 they were back again and in quite sure they will carry on with no one doing anything about it
its sady free fishing on that bank its down stream of Clifton Bridge opposite the Notts Fed Stretch
A photo (or two) is worth a thousand words IMO. Hope your season improves Bud.
ATB

Its likely that if Gerry is correct about the size of the fish that were taken that they were females with the follow on loss of any recruitment that would have come from them.

I think we have to consider things like that carefully. I would of agreed with you, however, after thinking further it’s a thin end of a wedge. If you create the situation where fishing’s only purpose is for pleasure it fuels the rhetoric for a complete ban.
What I think should occur is reform. The current legislation is well out of date and does not reflect the state of the environment. A perfectly legal take of some of species would have a disastrous impact. Some, could even have a complete ban. But yeah, reform is the most sensible corse and I’m suprised there’s not more pressure for this.

The problem with that suggestion is that it would immediately outlaw live baiting for all predators.
I don't see that as a problem. If the general public were to know what (some) predator anglers do with tethered live fish then I reckon there'd be a lot more 'antis'. Plus I don't think many barbel anglers would like to see 6-8" barbel being used as live-bait?

Stand by for maggots, casters and worms to be banned.
Would definitely be the death knell for sea fishing.
Slippery slope.

If these people were fishing on club waters then it is down to the club rules if they are allowed to take fish in accordance with the EA rules, doubt there are many clubs who allow it. If the weren't members then they are breaking the law under Section 2 of the Theft Act 1969 and the bailiff should have called the police and reported it quoting offence code 116/11 which the police are supposed to attend or at least log in their system. If they started getting aggressive then back off call the police and emphasise their is a likely breach of the peace and again they are supposed to attend.

The week before the start, I saw two anglers fishing a little stream near the Trent. Honest I really took five minutes thinking what should I do? I did nothing, call me if you like, but on your own against two young blokes what can you do. The Police are just not interested, the EA are not interested. In the next 10 years I'll be unable to fish (due to age) and I bet neither will most of the UK population either?
I do think its time we called a spade a spade, and these EU citizens are fine, or more for the damage they are doing to our fish stocks. No more PC for me.

I always diplomatically ask if they have a rod licence? If they do I ask if they are for the pot? All say no if they have a rod licence. If no rod licence I ask them to leave or I will call someone, generally the police, whom have always attended within the hour. Never get angry or violent or swear as you will have lost the situation. Just be nice and explain what you are doing. You can always back it up with there Reg or tell a friend what you are doing. All have left within 5 mins.

Back