• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

John Pain

Now, that is a ruddy shame. Never met him, but I still have John's lovely letter of a year or so ago when he bought a DVD of the old Ganges mahseer film from me - and I don't keep many letters.

Besides being a fine fisherman, John was also a real Gent.

He was the archetype of good.

You will be missed by many..

Have fun and catch all the fish :)

Cass

4630a877c17c6.jpg

What a Dapper!

We never actually met or at least knowingly. It appears that we had a lot in common, including Penton Hook, a photo of Jackpiker is in the historic gallery. We exchanged emails and pms over the years and I feel that I know him well.

Very sad to learn the news, yet another good man gone.

God Bless you John

Hugo

Think this is the one Hugo.
A young JP posing with a barbel from Penton Hook.

4635fb129608e1.jpg

You'd definitely remember him if your paths had ever crossed.
A lovely bloke.

Yes, that's the one! Trouble is I always fished at night in those days. The swim he was fishing we used to call " The Reeds " and we both caught lots of barbel there. Happy days! You can see that John loved his fishing!

Hugo

John taught me how to catch my first Kennet Barbel over 30 years ago, a
fantastic fisherman and great person.

Rest in peace mate.

Micky

Very sad news.
I only met John once, on Lower Benyons, but we had a roll up or two and a really interesting chat. I walked away thinking what a lovely fella he was.
RIP John.

One of the original BFW guys, as Ed said, the famous Jackpiker...
John was also involved in the embryonic phases of the Windsor Barbel Catchers, that first gathering that Neil Harding Deans arranged. The WBC logo........John's handy work.

My best memory of John....March 14th 2003. I was on the Colne, the 'East Side' and John on the Colnebrook, the 'West Side'.
Very funny phone calls across the M25 as he hauled 4 out, (from that small river an amazing result).

A true gent, a loyal friend, valued member of the WBC, and a fine piscator.

It's a very sad day indeed.

God bless you mate...

Ian

Last edited:
Back