• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Jetboil

Terry Harman

Senior Member & Supporter
Anyone use a jetboil stove or similar ......what do you think ? ...reviews ..worth the money...... better than conventional stove ?

Anyone use a jetboil stove or similar ......what do you think ? ...reviews ..worth the money...... better than conventional stove ?

I did think about it but then I realised how expensive the little tins of gas work out and decided
Im in no hurry when Im fishing and the tiny weight saving just wasnt worth it

You can use the larger cans of gas Gerry. I got gifted one off a military friend. Great for a quick boil. I take it out on my boat too.
If you look around there is a cheaper make....I think its highlander but don't quote me.

Had mine 5 years. Use it with small and large gas canisters. Great stove and very compact. Can be used as an ordinary stove with the the folding pan support or to boil water/cook boil in the bag stuff etc. Not the cheapest tho.

I’ve got the zip (most basic version) and I think it’s great. I only use it half a dozen times a year as my sessions tend to be short, but I’ve had no complaints, gas lasts a while so no issues there.

I think one of the appeals is not having to carry a kettle.......always like a hot drink fishing in the winter

I think one of the appeals is not having to carry a kettle.......always like a hot drink fishing in the winter
I was wondering how they perform in really cold weather as they dont seem to have a preheater pipe ?? also a quick look round and there are tons of lookalike at half the price !
Highlander ,Fire Maple and Alpkit are just examples of a few I saw
then there is the MSR Windburner that seems to get better reviews than the Jetboil due to the burner head being double the size I suspect

They’re pretty good in cold weather, no worse than my other stoves. The Jetboils are pretty narrow compared to the Alpkit, the Alpkit is bigger, wider & heavier. I’ve actually got the Jetboil zip which is the smaller version & the Alpkit version. If I’m just using it for a day trip just for boiling water, I’ll take the Jetboil. If I want to use it to cook boil in the bag meals, I’ll use the Alpkit. The Alpkit version also comes with a pan support which you can use if you want to use a frying pan on the stove although they’re not great for simmering, as adjustment is not as precise as a normal stove. The Alpkit is actually made by Firemaple

They’re pretty good in cold weather, no worse than my other stoves. The Jetboils are pretty narrow compared to the Alpkit, the Alpkit is bigger, wider & heavier. I’ve actually got the Jetboil zip which is the smaller version & the Alpkit version. If I’m just using it for a day trip just for boiling water, I’ll take the Jetboil. If I want to use it to cook boil in the bag meals, I’ll use the Alpkit. The Alpkit version also comes with a pan support which you can use if you want to use a frying pan on the stove although they’re not great for simmering, as adjustment is not as precise as a normal stove. The Alpkit is actually made by Firemaple
I'm curious about boil in the bag meals? Which ones are the best?

Though I rarely fish sessions long enough to need it these days, I've had one for many years. Exactly how long, I'm not sure, but somewhere in the region of ten years. It's quick, it's light, it's been no hassle. It's done me proud for making hot drinks and actually cooking on it. If I needed another cooker, I'd buy another.

I'm curious about boil in the bag meals? Which ones are the best?
I make my own, normally a pasta bolognese or a curry & rice but you can make whatever you like. I then put then in a foil pouch, they’re pretty cheap on EBay & freeze them. Just take out what you need, I tend to only use them for day sessions & put them in boiling water for between 8-10 mins

Used one for around 15 years, purchased mine in Oregon. Its been excellent even Special Forces use them, in my book there is nothing better.

Back