• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

JAG Hook Sharpening stones

Darren George

Brilliant!

I can take a hook with a turned point, which I would otherwise throw away, give it a stroke with these badboys, and put it back in the packet sharper than before I'd used it!

Highly recommended.

I've got the red and green ones. They even come with little protective tubes. Well worth a tenner, and will pay for themselves in no time, especially with the price of Fox Armapoint hooks I'm using...

A tip from the carp world, if you're using Teflon coated hook, a little smear of Vaseline after sharpening on the point will help prevent corrosion.

I've two lots of them just in case I misplace one. They are invaluable, not just for rescuing hooks but making sure your hook is ultra sharp every cast. Couple of rubs with the green one and away we go. You can run a blunt hook down your nail, a sharp enough one will scratch it, ultra sharp will just dig in.

Sounds like what im after, any links as to where I can purchase one from??

Darren,

Do they come in the tube with the vice grip on the end?

Darren,

Do they come in the tube with the vice grip on the end?

Exactly what I wondered. In the picture of the vice it certainly looks like it is attached to the red tube the files come in, but whether that is a handy second use of that tube...or a different tube, who can tell.

I doubt very much if the vice come free with the tube if you buy the files though :D

Cheers, Dave.

The red and green two-pack comes without vice, but with two clear plastic tubes with end caps. I've not got the vice, I make do with forceps.

I got mine from tacklebox online as I can't get them locally.

Hope that helps.

Hooks are the thing which is the final connection between the angler and the fish and I think this latest fad for sharpening is little more than good marketing, playing on every anglers natural anxieties that there might be something letting him down or allowing those clever fish to 'do' him.
The fact is most modern hooks are chemically sharpened and case hardened and if you inspect them straight from the pack with the aid of a decent glass you will find that in almost every case they are perfect. In most cases all sharpening does is destroy that factory edge, it's also possible that in inexpert hands an attempt to sharpen a hook can in fact produce the opposite effect.
The three sided elongated pyramid point which is said to be the best for penetration is actually very difficult to achieve by hand, even with the use of a vice and a jewellers loupe, and on anything other than a straight point it is virtually impossible.
Besides all that, life is too short to spend time sharpening hooks.......and it's one more thing to carry.
Imo this is one bit of fishing paraphernalia which catches more anglers than fish but if it gives you confidence who am I to argue.

Ah...thanks for that Darren. When you said earlier that they came in a protective tube, I assumed the red metallic looking one in the picture was it. I wonder if the that one comes with the vice then...and whether the files fit into it to make a compact set?

Cheers, Dave.

Ade,

Half a dozen or so strokes and a turned point is ready to be recast. I reckon life's too short to be tying rigs. But, we pays our money and makes our choice..

I cant argue with that and tbh I do sharpen the odd hook, My big meat rigs in particular usually benefit from a few strokes of the file.

006-1.jpg

Seen them on ebay for £9.50 posted

The red tube, with the vice on it is £20

Think ill get the sharpeners and use forceps like Darren says

Perfect presentation. Casting will be a doddle with my 50mm butt rung launchers for my margin fishing.

You crack me up. Gets better by the minute!

If you do buy the Jag vice, the head unscrews and the files can be stored in the main body of the vice.

I'm sure I've also seen a Jag vice kit which includes the vice, files and a jewellers style magnifying eyepiece too.

You can chuck the hook and start again but I've not got time to be messing about. A simple check shows hooks often come back blunted, by this I mean the point has bent over, right at the top and undoubtebly lost effectiveness. It's still sharp but the point is pointing towards the shank or elsewhere.

Whether this makes a difference with Barbel I couldn't say. Myself, if a fish takes my bait into it's mouth, I want the hook to turn and the point to dig in ASAP. I wouldn't bother with the vice and eye, I've got a jeweler's loupe from eBay for about £4. But for under a tenner, IMO it's essential kit.

Back