• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

J.W.Young "Trudex" c/pin reel.

Brian Paul

I have an old J.W. Young “Trudex†pin and was thinking of using it for Barbel, has anyone else had any experience with one of these ? I have never come across them being mentioned in any books or on forums, have they been forgotten or just not good for the job ?

I have an old J.W. Young “Trudex†pin and was thinking of using it for Barbel, has anyone else had any experience with one of these ? I have never come across them being mentioned in any books or on forums, have they been forgotten or just not good for the job ?

I use one all the time on small rivers, nice and light and more than capable for barbel fishing. I got a second hand one from the auction site for about £30 and it works flawlessly. I like the position and style of the ratchet switch which allows one handed operation. Overall its pretty sturdy, maybe not the best for trotting but for ledgering and touch ledgering it works very well.

I used one for a couple of years and it feels nice in the hand, easy to reach the ratchet etc. The only problem I had was casting. the line was forever tangling or going 'round the back. Maybe just a personal thing but I get on far better with my W/D Speedia..

I have an old J.W. Young “Trudex” pin and was thinking of using it for Barbel, has anyone else had any experience with one of these ? I have never come across them being mentioned in any books or on forums, have they been forgotten or just not good for the job ?

Brian...If you want to see a J W Young Reel in action take a look at the DVD Barbel Days & Ways volume 2 introduced by Bob Roberts & Stuart Walker..OK it's not a Trudex but a Rapidex but there is little difference in the two reels simply that the Rapidex has the line guard built into the frame and the Trudex has a removable guard.....It's a great bit of action....turns me on everytime the fish roars off !!!

Trudex/Rapidex

The Rapidex was the matchman's choice in the 60s until Abu appeared with their closed face reels. The Rapidex was a reasonable quality reel just as the Ambidex was a reasonable quality fixed spool reel. I wouldn't have thought that any reel from the Rapidex to the Ambidex would be up to the rigours of today's fihing. I've never grasped the value of using a centrepin for fishing for barbel, is it some sort of retro thing? I do appreciate that it is a skill to use a centrepin well and I suspect largely a lost art.

I've never grasped the value of using a centrepin for fishing for barbel, is it some sort of retro thing? I do appreciate that it is a skill to use a centrepin well and I suspect largely a lost art.

Not a retro thing at all Jim, certainly not for me, the pin is a tool for a certain type of job, in some ways it excels in others its just best left in the bag. The direct feel of a fish is the big advantage and feels very natural and controlled. As for skill, nothing massively complicated but there is a learning curve like most things.

Not a retro thing at all Jim, certainly not for me, the pin is a tool for a certain type of job, in some ways it excels in others its just best left in the bag. The direct feel of a fish is the big advantage and feels very natural and controlled. As for skill, nothing massively complicated but there is a learning curve like most things.

A far as I recall the centrepin was originally used as a trotting tool and the current would be sufficient to take line from the spool, but this was generally low b.s. lines. I appreciate that Mr Crabtree used nothing else but 'pins but that was all that was available to him. I wonder if fixed spools were available then, what he would use? You might let me know in what instances that you would use a centrepin - as I mentioned in my previous post, the matchmen largely abandoned the centrepin for the Abu 505 etc closed face reels.

I wouldn't have thought that any reel from the Rapidex to the Ambidex would be up to the rigours of today's fihing. I've never grasped the value of using a centrepin for fishing for barbel, is it some sort of retro thing? I do appreciate that it is a skill to use a centrepin well and I suspect largely a lost art.

I personally own 3 Trudex's & 4 Rapidex's along with other pins but hasten to add I wouldnt use them for Barbel angling, on purpose even although I have caught plenty using them whilst trotting for chub.

I use a more heavier & larger drummed reel to cope with the throwing of larger baits and feeders, and for faster retrieval as the smaller rapidex/Trudex are ok but as a smaller drummed reel you will struggle with line retrieval and eventually this turns a lot of anglers off using a centrepin.

My prefered choice of reel although not new is the old Mordex Major & Mordex Merlin (both centrepins) for Barbel fishing although this has only just replaced my 2 trusty Mitchell Match 440A's that have now gone into retirement.

Using a centrepin is nothing retro I take it as being the norm, for me anyway and actually shun away from baitrunners and more modern gear I suppose its what you have been brought up with and get joy from, I get more joy watching a centrepin drum whizzing off with a barbel attached than I would ever get from a baitrunner with an alarm attached to it.

Fishing is about enjoyment and relaxation and you only get out of it what your willing to put into it. Everyone to their own I say

A far as I recall the centrepin was originally used as a trotting tool and the current would be sufficient to take line from the spool, but this was generally low b.s. lines. I appreciate that Mr Crabtree used nothing else but 'pins but that was all that was available to him. I wonder if fixed spools were available then, what he would use? You might let me know in what instances that you would use a centrepin - as I mentioned in my previous post, the matchmen largely abandoned the centrepin for the Abu 505 etc closed face reels.

Yes as a trotting tool it comes into its own, though I have a bigger Youngs Purist pin for this. The Trudex I use for barbel fishing on the Loddon which is a relatively small river. Touch ledgering, lighter weights during the summer, and chub fishing mostly. I quite like the smaller footprint of the reel as it feels comfortable to me and it has landed a fair few doubles in its time. I also use a wider Youngs Purist in some circumstances. Those 3 reels account for much of my fishing. The Trudex is nice and simple, reliable and versatile. If travelling light it is ideal.

The fixed spool reel also has its place in my bag, its just about having the right tool for the conditions, neither is better than the other as this is like comparing apples to pears, though I can see why pins do not appeal to some. Like everything its a very personal choice which is why I prefer Gibsons over Fenders....cant beat that gutsy sound and smaller scale neck...:)

Hi Bill,

Pleased you liked that part of Bob's dvd!

The pin screaming is an integral part of the barbel fishing experience for me, without it I somehow feel cheated and the Rapidex plays my favourite tune.

Watching the rod top go over without the accompanying sound of the pin is like watching a silent movie as far as I'm concerned!

And before anyone says it, the sound from a pin is so much more pleasing to the ear than that of an an alarm!

It also wake's you up a treat! Also fishing a small river I can cast about 25ft dropping a lead in with the smallest of plop's.

Hi Steve,
Yup, definately liked that part of the DVD infact anybody that comes thru' the front door who has the remotest of fishing heads gets that scene played to them much to the exasperation of the Missus who doesn't quite share my enthusiasm for it !!!
Got to agree with you and others, I would much rather hear the scream of a 'pin ratchet than a buzzer on my river......

Last edited:
Yes as a trotting tool it comes into its own, though I have a bigger Youngs Purist pin for this. The Trudex I use for barbel fishing on the Loddon which is a relatively small river. Touch ledgering, lighter weights during the summer, and chub fishing mostly. I quite like the smaller footprint of the reel as it feels comfortable to me and it has landed a fair few doubles in its time. I also use a wider Youngs Purist in some circumstances. Those 3 reels account for much of my fishing. The Trudex is nice and simple, reliable and versatile. If travelling light it is ideal.

The fixed spool reel also has its place in my bag, its just about having the right tool for the conditions, neither is better than the other as this is like comparing apples to pears, though I can see why pins do not appeal to some. Like everything its a very personal choice which is why I prefer Gibsons over Fenders....cant beat that gutsy sound and smaller scale neck...:)

Thanks for your thoughts, John. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 'pin, but is all a question of choice. I bought a Trabant once, lovely noise when it was fired up - only joking! I do have fond memories, when I was a kid, of the ratchet screaming when a tench took. The bamboo rod that was attached to the centrepin, made an almighty crack and my first ever tench was lost. The rod was replaced by an Aquaglass. I still have the remnants of the bamboo rod and the old centrepin.

Back