• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

ITV Tonight Programme

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
Not sure how many of us on this forum watched the ITV documentary last night about the pollution in UK waterways?
Sadly it was, same old, same old. Once again the Wye was spotlighted.
I don't want to bang on about the destruction of this magnificent river. Everyone knows its happening, but what astonished me is that (it seems) no-one has the authority to (or balls) to stay STOP! I couldn't believe the number of organisations involved in the matter:
Water UK
Regional Water Co's
OFWAT
EA
NFU
Planning Authorities
Local landowners
MP's
and other "interested parties":
Wye & Usk Foundation
Angling Trust
Wildlife charities
Canoe clubs/businesses
Wild swimmers
Walkers/ramblers
Local residents
I am sure there are many more, including ourselves, anglers who care desperately about the environment, who witness the slow death of our rivers and feel helpless to do anything about it.
I've written to MP's, the CEO's of large commercial chicken farms, Local planning officers...all of them. Their response is to kick the bucket down the road.
I'm 71 years old and quite frankly, I don't think I have the tenacity these days to involve myself in a long fight over this issue.
I've got great memories of fishing UK's rivers and count myself very lucky in that regard, but, sadly, the future looks bleak.

Back