• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

its raining !!!!!

Raining steadily here on the Welsh border but I doubt it will have much effect on levels in the Severn, ground is so dry it's like a huge sponge! After tomorrow rain chances for the rest of the week are small, at least the temperature is finally down.

After two and a half days of the occasional heavy downpour (every single one occurring when I was trying to play cricket, cycling home from work, trying to see an eclipse or walking the dog) has finally turned into persistent rain here in Yorkshire and my favourite local river is teeny enough to be a foot and a bit up already ....

I'll be under the brolly, joyfully drowning maggots today :)

Steady rain here now for at least the last 5-6 hours, strange watching some of it running straight down into the deep cracks which have formed in the clay. A few more hours should be enough to freshen up the Dane. And, judging by the way it was coming down in the Peak Park earlier on, the Dove and Derwent.

Torrential rain here at Throop, River is rising slowly at the moment, it will possibly drop over the next few days, but at least it's freshened things up a touch..

When we left the Nidd yesterday at dusk, water was coming over the full width of the weir for the first time in the day and the first time in 2 months. Beautiful. Lovely cool water temperatures too. Looks like it's peaked for now, 2.5 feet up on where it's been all those weeks, but more rain due this afternoon?

Wharfe 3.5 foot up and still rising.
smiley.png

Aire in Leeds was briefly 3 foot up yesterday but it flushes through so fast. Still the river (and canal) look much better now than last week.

We had a good spell of steady rain over the weekend with the odd heavy shower since. There's a decent slug of extra water coming down the upper Swale, but it's on the way back down now. Whether it makes much of an impact lower down the river is another matter entirely. There will be plenty of snotty algae and fibrous weed going down. Might make for awkward fishing in the short term, but it will only be a good thing.

Had some rain over the weekend in Ross - river up by 6mm compared to a week ago, but no more rain for the next 2 weeks and temps upto hgh 20's later this week- we are not fishjing for some time.

All the rain over the weekend was welcome but sudden massive influxes of water can cause severe problems for fish . I know that the EA have been very busy dealing with distressed / dying fish on at least 2 Yorkshire rivers . These are incidents of massive de oxygenation immediately following the storms .

All the rain over the weekend was welcome but sudden massive influxes of water can cause severe problems for fish . I know that the EA have been very busy dealing with distressed / dying fish on at least 2 Yorkshire rivers . These are incidents of massive de oxygenation immediately following the storms .

Heard about the Naburn lock one - where was the other?

[EDIT] ah, OK, I've googled around and saw you're probably referring to Foss Basin, that makes sense, not much flow there either.

Saw a big thunderstorm-related fish kill a couple of years ago on the Upper Aire meself, not pleasant.

I wish i had a d/o meter to take a couple of readings for what would surely be an incredible contrast at the moment between the Nidd and the Ouse within a couple of miles, possibly even within a few yards. The large difference in temperature is obvious just by touch.

Last edited:
I have no idea now if we want rain or not?
Was it the wrong type of rain?

Nice steady persistent cool (but not too cool) watery stuffed with oxygen rain that dissolves like a rich tea biscuit in a mug of hot tea. That sort of rain. It’s welcome to start in the Welsh Hills and calmly make its way into Herefordshire. For once, fish and fishermen as one in their welcome as it arrives.

Heard about the Naburn lock one - where was the other?

[EDIT] ah, OK, I've googled around and saw you're probably referring to Foss Basin, that makes sense, not much flow there either.

Saw a big thunderstorm-related fish kill a couple of years ago on the Upper Aire meself, not pleasant.

I wish i had a d/o meter to take a couple of readings for what would surely be an incredible contrast at the moment between the Nidd and the Ouse within a couple of miles, possibly even within a few yards. The large difference in temperature is obvious just by touch.
Graham there were fish kills / distressed fish on several stretches of the river Foss well above York following the weekends thunderstorms

Back