• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

It could happen to any of us

Steven Hodges

Senior Member & Supporter

Dave Hoskins

ilg3S17ph7fs4g90ce7tha0 ·

THE DAY I NEARLY DROWNED
Decided to hit the river on Tuesday Morning. Knowing the swim I was going to at Grimley being flat & safe left my dog spike & rope in the garage BIG Mistake fished the swim for a while but not much happening.
So decided on a move to Severn Stoke. If any of you know the river ? I fished the left hand car park swim quite flat & safe ??
After a few hours the left hand rod screamed off I jump up to strike slipped landed on my arse & slid of bank dropping 4’ into the River below grabbing my rod on way in .
Luckily there is a steel girder in side of bank for a boats to tie up to, I screamed & lucky for me a guy putting his kit in car raced over and pulled me out I could not have climbed that bank without him.
I would have DROWNED I owe him my life but unfortunately in all what was going on I never got his name
😢
Another guy called Chris Smith (smudge) helped with the Barbel which was still on the rod I was grasping hold of.
I hope this may save someone’s life we all spend 1,000s on our kit make sure you tie on or invest in a life jacket I nearly wasn’t here to write this story.
I hope some how I meet or see this guy who saved my life yesterday to thank him properly
Dave

Blimey Steve, I know that peg so well, it has always been the go to peg due to its apparent safety, being wide and flat,also produced big barbel. Must have been very frightening for you, its deep there but thank God there was the metal old mooring structure to cling on to. I think I know Chris Smith as the guy who works at Mira, I had his e-mail address some time ago will see if I can dig it out.
I was out to Tuesday too, and slipped twice on the bank's of the Arrow, but not nearly so traumatic as the mighty Severn.
Just checked I have his e-mail address, will pass it on to you later on, top bloke he is.

Last edited:
Blimey Steve, I know that peg so well, it has always been the go to peg due to its apparent safety, being wide and flat,also produced big barbel. Must have been very frightening for you, its deep there but thank God there was the metal old mooring structure to cling on to. I think I know Chris Smith as the guy who works at Mira, I had his e-mail address some time ago will see if I can dig it out.
I was out to Tuesday too, and slipped twice on the bank's of the Arrow, but not nearly so traumatic as the mighty Severn.
Just checked I have his e-mail address, will pass it on to you later on, top bloke he is.
It wasn't me Neil I saw the post and shared it as it sends an important message regarding safety on the banks

It wasn't me Neil I saw the post and shared it as it sends an important message regarding safety on the banks
Ahh... my excuse it was stupid 'o' clock when I logged on, anyway I have messaged Dave Hoskins on fb to contact me so I can pass on details.. Anyway that's that peg 'blown' now.:eek:
Stay safe.

Dave Hoskins

ilg3S17ph7fs4g90ce7tha0 ·

THE DAY I NEARLY DROWNED
Decided to hit the river on Tuesday Morning. Knowing the swim I was going to at Grimley being flat & safe left my dog spike & rope in the garage BIG Mistake fished the swim for a while but not much happening.
So decided on a move to Severn Stoke. If any of you know the river ? I fished the left hand car park swim quite flat & safe ??
After a few hours the left hand rod screamed off I jump up to strike slipped landed on my arse & slid of bank dropping 4’ into the River below grabbing my rod on way in .
Luckily there is a steel girder in side of bank for a boats to tie up to, I screamed & lucky for me a guy putting his kit in car raced over and pulled me out I could not have climbed that bank without him.
I would have DROWNED I owe him my life but unfortunately in all what was going on I never got his name
😢
Another guy called Chris Smith (smudge) helped with the Barbel which was still on the rod I was grasping hold of.
I hope this may save someone’s life we all spend 1,000s on our kit make sure you tie on or invest in a life jacket I nearly wasn’t here to write this story.
I hope some how I meet or see this guy who saved my life yesterday to thank him properly
Dave
I’ve taken the liberty of transposing this onto the Association of Barbel Fishers forum Steve. I think this is a stark reminder to us ALL about the value of a less than five quid dog spike and a length of rope! So very glad it had a positive ending.

I was horrified to receive a call from my son a few weeks back. He was fishing the d/stour the level was up due to rainfall, he slipped down the bank and cracked a rib on a tree stump almost falling in the river.
Luckily he’s on the mend.
Iam very glad to here daves ok

I’ve taken the liberty of transposing this onto the Association of Barbel Fishers forum Steve. I think this is a stark reminder to us ALL about the value of a less than five quid dog spike and a length of rope! So very glad it had a positive ending.
I also wear spiked/studded footwear these days in dodgy condition. I’ve a pair of studded wading boots or have a cheap set of crampons which are fitted to my “wellies”

Hi men,

Anglers often commented on the Kennet , Lea etc about the dogspike that was always strapped to my ruckbag , as most of them rivers was very safe , but I was in the habit of leaving it one no matter where we fished . This episode could have ended very differently , something we can all learn from 👍.

Hatter

For years I've thought about getting an inflation device to wear while fishing. They don't cost a lot and could save your life. A stark reminder that rivers are bloody dangerous places!
Same here, something I've always had in mind, but particularly recently as some of the swims I've been fishing on the Upper Trent are a bit steep and slippy to say the least.

I've got a basic life jacket I use when boat fishing but its a bit old and bit unwieldy, but I could would like something for winter bank fishing. Probably an auto inflate job with a manual back up. Any recommendations gratefully received.

I have a dog spike with knotted rope attached and I purchased one of these zip bags from BFW shop as it fits neatly inside which is with me in my Rucksack should I need it as they are not the easiest of things to carry with you unless packed in something.
1636635137690.png

I relate this, almost apologetically, a tad embarrassing too, I had the following link sent to me Feb 2019

Following this I, and a few mates, each purchased a self-inflating buoyancy aid (as opposed to a life jacket). We were going to test it by one of us jumping in (somewhere safe) but the mechanism was only a single shot device (probably wrong terminology) so we didn't.

BUT although I took it with me every trip for the next few months I only wore it a couple of times and then it stayed in the van :rolleyes:

How stupid!

I always use a dog spike, it fits in an outside pocket of my quiver. It goes in before I do anything else and is the last thing I pack up.
Can anyone recommend a self inflating buoyancy aid, there are so many on the web and I have no experience of them. Want something light and compact .

I always take a dog spike and rope when fishing the Wye, but rarely think to take it anywhere else as most of the rivers I fish have fairly level banks.

As fishing mishaps go, I had the worst some 28 years ago when I was fishing a river with my 12 yrs old son, It was a steep bank but we had a safe spot to fish from ( no dog spike or rope ! ) Being a bit stupid, I climbed a tree that overhung the water to watch a shoal of big Chub, and work out the best way to approach fishing for them, I was about 16 feet or so above the water when the branch I was stood on snapped, I fell vertically into the water which was up to my shoulders , when I tried to scramble to the bank which was only a few feet away, I realised that my right ankle would not function at all, I floundered around and managed to grab a handfull of vegetation and pulled myself to the bank below where my son was sitting, he was laughing ! I said that I thought I had broken my ankle , he just laughed and basically said I was always having him on , anyway I could not climb out as the bank was very steep, eventually he realised it was no joke, and he went off to the nearby Marina to get help from the Marina manager who I knew well, this entailed him also having to make a big detour as there was a canal between him and the Marina . I clung onto the bankside vegetation, water up to my neck for ages , I tried to get up the bank pulling myself up using brambles, but only managed to spike myself severely , eventually they returned with a rope, and an ambulance team with a stretcher. They managed to haul me out ,wet through, bleeding from bramble wounds and a right foot pointing skyward and right at a strange angle, then I was conveyed via a comandeered Barge to the Marina car park, taken to hospital where eventually I had extended surgery on my right ankle which was smashed up in seven seperate places .

I must admit, even at almost 69 yrs old now, I still climb trees to fish watch, but do take a lot more care than I used to .

A dog spike and rope would probably have helped in my case , but I will never know.

As said in other posts, do take care, I am not really sure why I am still around really as the above is only one in a series of mishaps I have had whilst Fishig, Caving and Climbing .

David

Can anyone recommend a self inflating buoyancy aid, there are so many on the web and I have no experience of them. Want something light and compact .
I'm no expert so not a recommendation in safety terms, and I know the saying "you only get what you pay for", but this is what I bought

Clickety-click

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are ok👍
I use a storm pole pushed in deep for something to interrupt a slide / grab hold of
But by far the best thing is a set of crampons that easily fit over wellies or walking boots
They make a huge difference on deceptively slippy grass banks

Back