• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Is my river fit to play in ?

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
I found this on another website, it tells you the amounts of sewage discharges into rivers from sewage plants, particularly interesting is the information re overflows of untreated sewage in times of heavy rain and flood . I wonder if the “Wild swimmers “ and canoeists have seen this, almost turns your stomach .

David

It’s pretty rank really and something that shouldn’t be done. The more the population grows the worst it will get. It’s the same with the sea. I worked on a campsite in Wales for the summer when I was 19 that was right next to the beach. They had a board by the beach that told you how much Pooh per square inch of water there was. Even on a good day it was still nasty not that they updated it that often. I only went in the sea twice the whole time I was there. Once drunk on the way home one night and the other time on the hottest day of the summer where I lasted about 2 minutes before I had to get out as I’d lost all the blood from my fingers and toes the water felt that cold. Took about half hour sat on the beach to get some colour back in them

Most of it in our area was from 2019 when we had major floods. But reading how much sewage came out over the period of time is disgusting tbh

These wild water swimmers get right on my tits. They have no regard for anglers (who pay to be on the water), and they are reckless in many instances. Swimming in swollen rivers, with the discharge from sewage works, in turbulent water and in extremely cold water. As low as 3 degrees C. How long does it take for hyperthermia to set in?
Because of lockdown, I've been limited to a piece of the Ouse that became busier than Piccadilly Circus over the summer; what with paddle boarders, swimmers, canoes, kayaks.....
In my opinion, if you use a public water for recreation, you have to buy a license to enjoy it, just like we do.

I was told the 2020 figures should have been out over a month ago. With what I saw locally last year do not be surprised if the 2020 figures are so much worse than 2019. I am seeking information on my local Sewage works ,Maple Lodge from the EA and Thames at the moment. Its been dumping all last year. Chesham back in 2019 dumped 2 times for 3 hours, last year it dumped Raw sewage over 70 days. It seems like during lockdown lots of STW's took advantage to dump their filth.

These wild water swimmers get right on my tits. They have no regard for anglers (who pay to be on the water), and they are reckless in many instances. Swimming in swollen rivers, with the discharge from sewage works, in turbulent water and in extremely cold water. As low as 3 degrees C. How long does it take for hyperthermia to set in?
Because of lockdown, I've been limited to a piece of the Ouse that became busier than Piccadilly Circus over the summer; what with paddle boarders, swimmers, canoes, kayaks.....
In my opinion, if you use a public water for recreation, you have to buy a license to enjoy it, just like we do.
Depending on who controls the stretch of water they may have to have a small craft licence. I think swimming will be free thou. A complete pain in the arse most of them some are ok. Bit like cyclist on the road 🤣

I fish from a kayak and currently pay £45 per year for a licence and third party insurance to access rivers and canals on top of my annual fishing licence. Only the swimmers have free access.

I have mentioned on here before the Wargrave works into the Loddon and thence the Thames a mile downstream ladies sanitary towels flowing straight into the river during high water levels.

Swimming,? No thanks

It's also a fact that oestrogen causes fish to become infertile. Dr. Franklin work on Loddon roach. Work it out.

So are the water companies admitting they can't cope with the level
I was told the 2020 figures should have been out over a month ago. With what I saw locally last year do not be surprised if the 2020 figures are so much worse than 2019. I am seeking information on my local Sewage works ,Maple Lodge from the EA and Thames at the moment. Its been dumping all last year. Chesham back in 2019 dumped 2 times for 3 hours, last year it dumped Raw sewage over 70 days. It seems like during lockdown lots of STW's took advantage to dump their filth.
So are the sewage companies admi
I fish from a kayak and currently pay £45 per year for a licence and third party insurance to access rivers and canals on top of my annual fishing licence. Only the swimmers have free access.
And paddle boarders. Of which there are countless dozens

Not really sure Chris, the groundwater levels have been higher than for years around this area, which sadly means the STW's dump excess. My emails under the freedom of information act to Thames and the EA will hopefully give us some answers to what is happening. We suspect a lot of illegal dumping has been going on and plenty of covering up.

Back