• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Is it worth millions??

Ian Lowe

Hi all,

Am I rich? I was sorting the loft out and found my grandfathers old reel.

teme001-1.jpg

ian

Mark,

£75 would buy us a new team at Kenilworth Road!!!

I cant believe they are still flogging season tickets for the remaining few games at £120:eek:

I know we're hard up but that's blatant p*** taking surely???:D

Still with promotion beckoning, Im keeping my fingers crossed mate..:cool:

Tommo

Ian,
Let me know how much you get for it ,iv'e still got mine, it was my first fixed spool reel 48 years ago. If you get a season ticket for the price of the reel you should get some change back :D:D:D:D

The Ambidex was the second reel i had, it was given to me by my uncle, and we still have the odd day barbelling. My first was an intrepid black prince.

It doesnt matter how much its worth, its the sentimental value - it brought back some memories for me.

Jon

I can always remember my dad using one years ago with an old rod with a very loose reel grip the ones you just push together (the ones Hatter uses:p) he was always trying to fish the reel out of the river with his landing net :D hope it was water proof ;) wetting myself just thinking about it.

ian

75 quid would buy you a football club.........portsmouth/crystal palace !!!!!! lol
nice sentimental find buddy.

I ebayed one of these half bail arm ambidexes recently but it only sold for £3.50! To have more value it would need to be in perfect condition.

I couldn't sell it really with all the sentimental value attached to it.

Ian, bit of WD40 and it will be as good as new , go out and fish with it ! I imagine it would be a thrill using your grandads reel ,even better if you caught a monster . I seem to recall Chris Yates on passion for angling taming some big fish with exactly the same reel :)

Not got an Ambi, but still got the first proper reel (after using a woolworths special for a bit) I brought with my paper round money in 1970...a Mitchell 300 , it cost a fortune in those days. Still works and still gets used (although lots of bits have been replaced over the years, so it is really in original condition). Also got the rod my granddad bought for me when I passed my 11 + in 1968..a 8 3/4 ft (original 9ft, but the tip has been broken a couple of times) Allcocks split cane "Lightcaster". Got a really nice permanent fish shaped curve to it no and on the wall of my studio.
I used to also have his really nice, manufacturer unknown (I think some mate of his in Brum put it together from buts and pieces..my grandad never spent much cash on gear), split can fly rod, which I blagged after he died (to many other grandchildren for me to get everything)...unfortunately it came to a sorry end in a car door! Actually it was a rubbish fly rod to tell the truth, compared to any modern ones and I have no idea how he ever managed to cast with it. I can't actually remember every catching anything with it (it weighted as much as my modern barbel rods!), but it was still nice to turn up with a split cane fly rod and horrify the gear freaks.

Last edited:
Back