• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

is it worth it?

first rod i bought was a tonkin cane from woolworths cost me sixpence{remember?}
2 pieces inside the butt.must have been around1939.some massive roach on this rod.i now know they must have been all of 3 ounces.todays carbon rods are unbeatable in my opinion
and many at good prices.
albert

Hexagraphs are an aquired taste and I first saw one back in '95, a 13' trotter then the 'Ray Walton' Avon range and decided a no2 would be my best choice, read that Ray prefers the no.1 himself but I wanted it for lake tench and carp as well as the river. I found one on eBay and took a punt on it, won and was hooked on them. Picked up a Gerry Swanton 13' trotter a year later and a 10' fly rod with an idea of making a light Avon of it by adding a full size handle and re ringing it with the same guides as the Avon no.2 but had a better offer for it and found a no.3 Avon for floodwater fishing and stalking carp with but so far it's not had much use as I haven't had the time and when I did get on the bank I used cane or a Martin Bowler Drennan big river barbel rod I won last year so have decided to sell. Also hot a monster 12'6" 2 3/4lb test Hexagraph rung as my avons but with 40mm butt ring and fixed reel seat. Originally built as a salmon worming rod that was rung for use with a multiplier, two 5'6" sections in cane effect and a detachable cork butt with screw down reel seat, the ultimate floodwater rod, long range, heavy weight. God knows what I built it for but it looks awesome ;). Anyone wants the no.3 Avon it's going u on eBay next week for a reserve of £450 as its in mint condition, cost over £800 to get one like it as it had a few extras like its rubber button, better cork and screw down reel seat, got a Ray Walton mk2 rolling pin to sell with it for another £200. If anyone here wants them for £600 before I list them send me a PM ;)

Last edited:
Back