• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

is it worth it?

I would love all the range gear but money is my only object

probably a very good rod and worth the money but sadly not for me :(

I will stick with my second hand stuff which i keep picking up

Sean

Naughty David - Hexagraphs are hardly beginner's tackle!
I have a 11' 6" 1 & 3/8lb TC Hex - wonderful rod with an amazing fighting curve.
So is my made to measure cane rod for a fraction of the Barder from a very nice man who makes them in Hull - I think equal of the Barder in every way.

I have a 11' 6" 1 & 3/8lb TC Hex - wonderful rod with an amazing fighting curve.
So is my made to measure cane rod for a fraction of the Barder from a very nice man who makes them in Hull - I think equal of the Barder in every way.
Hexagraphs are hardly beginner's tackle!

LOL...i don't know, better than the dodgy Shakespeare kit when i was kid...:D

I was going to post the same, they were common place way back, but of course the quality did vary, I still have a couple in the loft in the garage, I could really impress poncing around with one of those:)

neil, 45 years ago 14ft fibreglass float rods started to emerge, before that it was hollow built cane rods or whole cane with spliced tops or b/cane tops mate, i used to build built cane carp rods or avons along with some caster rods for me and my mates for about £1.50 or 30 bob as we called it
i think a chapmans 500 was around £3 in tackle shops and good rods like b.james ect were around £8-£10, yes if you were into big fish in them days
it was built cane cos nuffin else would do the job, i can remember when a 6lb barbel put a permanent curve in my old steel taperflash, after that it was a 12ft hollow built tench rod for my barbel fishing, lovely rods those cared for canes but not a patch on todays modern glass marvels:D

Those were the days John.

Tank aerials for rods and Gentles at 6d a pint, Jumpers for goal posts!!

Marvellous Eh!!!!

I have never been one for real Gucci gear, too much of an animal, I always break it and have to start again, so £660 for a rod I can nause up in no time is a non starter!

Quite interesting though all that money and you still have to have a rod with a bloody reel fitting, the bloke who made the rod has no idea what my swim is like, so how does he know where the reel should go, also why put cork on the bit you don’t hold?

I know I am in a minority of one but I do hate those blasted fittings.
Plenty of rods out there that I would make do with if they had a sliding ring option.

Because of this I have decided to treat myself to a pair of new float rods, I will have to have them made for me so I expect I will need to look after these.

That is the problem with being old fashioned and using those float thingies!

I wish it would become fashionable again!!

Tight lines mate.

Tempted!!!

But NO!!!

I have withstood the influence from you Lawgirl and Baxyboy for several years now and I just will not give in.............................................SHANT!!!!!! (stamps foot petulantly).

Even though I am catching naff all (and if we don’t get any blasted rain I will continue to catch naff all).

Tight lines buddy

Keith, it would be difficult to do more than you have already have done to 'fire' the enthusiasm of any prospective float angler so just keep doing what you do and keep the faith (the rain will come).

Keith

I know I am in a minority of one but I do hate those blasted fittings. Plenty of rods out there that I would make do with if they had a sliding ring option.
The Daiwa sliding screw reel seat solves this for me. I can move it up and down the handle to suit the rod-reel combination and then screw the damn thing down to lock it into place. I used to love using my old B&W rods but even with tape, a feisty fish saw the reel detach as the sliding collars worked loose.

Last edited:
Keith, a bit of adhesive tape round the reel foot and round the rod handle mate. or if you wanna be flash have a look at the abu adjustable reel seats
for sea rods, these you can move anywhere on the rod handle and then just tighten up the screw fittings, rock solid and get change from a tenner:)
hope this find yourself and mike in good health mate:)

Hi Jonners we are fine mate!

Mike is doing too much work and I am fishing too much:)

Been a bit of a struggle this year, what with one thing and another but I have at last started to fish seriously and have at last caught a decent fish.

How are things with you mate?

Keith, aint been fishing for over a year now due to taking full control of the company mate, looking forward to when i will be 80% retired in a couple more years then the fishing comes 1st:D, hope your keep mike busy and also give your office teaboy a rise he deserves one:)

Back