• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Is it me? Is it real?

if anyone defending species like lynx ect ask yourselves this one question honestly.
if you had kids in their very early teens or younger even , would you feel they are safe camping out ect. if there are animals like this roaming?
no of course you wouldn,t so why try to defend or condone such being so and encouraged to hunt prey:mad:

if anyone defending species like lynx ect ask yourselves this one question honestly.
if you had kids in their very early teens or younger even , would you feel they are safe camping out ect. if there are animals like this roaming?
no of course you wouldn,t so why try to defend or condone such being so and encouraged to hunt prey:mad:

An attack by a Lynx on a human, if they were ever to be introduced would be very highly unlikely. If they came across anyone camping in the woods, they'd keep a wide berth. Think Africa, big cats and campers. Hardly an attack to report.

bob you are looking at my comment with an example that is not the case, have you seen this lynx, i have and it was eyeing my young grandson with a real gleam in its eye, the nearest thing to it is a wildcat, now small cat it is but neither you or i would enjoy an encounter with one let alone a youngster without adult/s present

As far as I'm aware their are no documented records of humans being attacked by lynx in Europe, or even America.
Yet every day children and adults are being treated in hospitals across the country for dog bites, how many times a year do we read about horrific instances of kids being mauled to death by certain breeds of dogs?

The British do have a reputation for being zoophobic when it comes to wild animals. :)

As far as I'm aware their are no documented records of humans being attacked by lynx in Europe, or even America.
Yet every day children and adults are being treated in hospitals across the country for dog bites, how many times a year do we read about horrific instances of kids being mauled to death by certain breeds of dogs?

The British do have a reputation for being zoophobic when it comes to wild animals. :)

Whilst I accept the premise of what your saying the statistics of circumstances may that conclusion inevitable. This is said in slight jest but is for perspective. Our exposure time as a population to dogs over any other animal is massive. I expect more people are killed by cattle in the world than by bears and cows eat grass. You get my point.

With all respect John & Jon, no it isn't understandable - it is about twice the size of a domestic cat so not exactly a 'maneater'. So how is it a danger to the public? Armed hunters with night vision gear are not employed to shoot dangerous dogs, they are 'captured' first and then 'destroyed'. If nothing else this approach has been a waste of tax payers money. As for it killing seven sheep - it is the usual response of the Farmer's Union - kill anything without evidence. Yet another ridiculous response from one of our elected bodies - overreaction and resort to guns as the solution.

as far as i am aware this was a government decision and in any case it would if not any danger stopped would have affected the living of most retail, pubs and catering ect. as well the numerous large and small holiday and caravan sites in that area which is mainly dependant on holiday makers, ask the locals what they thought about it and quite sure most would agree the action was justified but again outsiders who live far away and have no need for such worries about their income probably never see nor consider this side of things, the place is hard to earn a living locally apart from the holiday season, beautiful place to live or take a break in and absolutely breath taking scenery but almost dependant on holiday makers.

as far as i am aware this was a government decision

Well, that says it all - bearing in mind the current state of the Government. :rolleyes:

The fact that staff at the zoo are horrified speaks volumes to me. These are the people who actually understand the cat's habits and capabilities. Also, I'm not sure why the sniper was put up in front of the media to defend his actions, if this was a decision taken on high.

From what I've read, the cat wouldn't have known how to hunt so was probably trying to return, out of hunger, to captivity.

John with all the govt has to worry about i cannot see this as a decision from on high... Knowing the area myself you are right about the economy but it is November and the place is more or less shut down except for hardy souls who like beach walking...

true Paul but think about most of the holiday makers have kids and if they changed their holidays to elsewhere it would be deserted in spring and summer too, i love the wild life anywhere i visit but not if kids can get savaged, all cats big or small have a killer instinct even domesticated ones, i have spent a lifetime in or around slaughterhouses but 99% of the workers in such always care and respect the animals that are slaughtered, the other 1% usually leave after getting some extremely rough justice from the other workers. thats the same for me and my opinion of any escapees from zoos and released dangerous animals, if they cant catch and eat wildlife and are really hungry they will turn onto pets or even people, especially children, people must come 1st in keeping safe.

With all respect John & Jon, no it isn't understandable - it is about twice the size of a domestic cat so not exactly a 'maneater'. So how is it a danger to the public? Armed hunters with night vision gear are not employed to shoot dangerous dogs, they are 'captured' first and then 'destroyed'. If nothing else this approach has been a waste of tax payers money. As for it killing seven sheep - it is the usual response of the Farmer's Union - kill anything without evidence. Yet another ridiculous response from one of our elected bodies - overreaction and resort to guns as the solution.

What if it wondered in someone’s back garden and children were outside playing. They’d go up to it thinking look at this lovely cat and get their face chewed off

well the other one at borth escaped now from same place, seems to me like the safety at that zoo should be carefully monitored by experienced government inspectors much more closely

Back