• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Is it Just me

Shaun Morris

Is it just me, or has this happened to anyone else out there.
I fished on the Sussex Ouse today. Hooked a really nice Barbel. Great fight from a very tight swim and eventually netted it. My landing net is a triangular carp type net. As I tried to lift the fish, one of the arms of the net broke close to the spreading block. The other arm slid out of the spreading block and I was left with a Barbel trapped in a net below my feet in the shallows. I tried to hook out the net with the spreading block, needed all of the 3 meter pole. Eventually fell in. Happy ending was a 9lb 1oz Barbel safetly returned to the river.
Soggy Shaun of the nettle rash.

Not with a triangular net but I did end up in a similar situation when the thread snapped off a 32" spoon net! :)

Not quite the same but I do recall one hot summer day stripping down to just my shreddies and wellingtons to wade into the Kennet in an attempt to free a fish I had hooked which had then snagged itself quite firmly. As I emerged victorious from the river, I was greeted by an elderly couple walking their dog. Awkward doesn't get close to describing that moment.

I have had one arm of a triangular net suddenly collapse when netting a barbel. Fortunately the other arm stayed put & I landed the fish without any further problem. I have two spoon type landing nets and both of those have had need of a spot of glue to fix arms back in the base.

You wouldn't be the first one that's happened to Andrew :(

Cheers, Dave.

Was attached to a 4m net handle at the time Dave, awkward swim, steep slope with a 4' drop into 3' of water. Knew it well so had no hesitation in jumping in after the fish which was retrieved and released. Could have been a lot worse - there are some swims on these north west spate rivers I really wouldn't want to jump in! :eek:

Was it one of those ABU triangular nets:(

Was it one of those ABU triangular nets:(

John, I've got one of those, which I'm about to ditch. Has collapsed too many times at the vital moment. Haven't lost a fish because of it yet, but I suspect it would be only a matter of time if I don't change. Due to get a Greys 28in spoon.

I bought the net from 'Bennetts of Sheffield' . It was advertised as a Barbel net combo, came with a very strong but short handle. I liked it because it folded up in such a way that I could put it in my rod holdall. Some years ago, someone gave my a large Korum spoon, and this will be my new net. Just off to currys to get a cheap digital camera to replace the one I drowned yesterday.
Quite scary yesterday for a while. I had no way of climbing out, due to the steep bank. Indebted to 2 gents on the other bank. They guided me upstream to a place where I could climb out using tree roots.
Regards
Shaun

Last edited:
Steve i have had 2 of them both broke at the bottom of the arms!!!

Enjoy it while you can - one day you'll be too old and you'll fall in and just float away to the big river in the sky!

Fortunately I have never had any problems with my nets but have had the occasional ducking.

A year or so ago, when the river was low and the weather hot I caught a decent barbel and was concerned about its chances of discovery. The swim was only three feet deep so I just carried the barbel and slid down into the river and held the fish until she recovered.

I soon dried out and was much cooler after the event. Quite a good way of activating a swim as well.

Regards,

Hugo

Back