• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Iphone 4 waterproof case....

Steve Williams

Has anyone had any experience with 'water proof' case for Iphones and the like?

After a little 'accident' with my 6 day old Iphone and a pair of leaky chest waders, I'm looking at a way of protecting it a little better... as if not, I can see it been a regular occurrence......:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Steve

There are plenty if waterproof bags for sale in camping/hiking shops etc... they come in very handy and pretty cheap. I now use one for my psp after that went for a little swim in the Thames. my psp still works, I left it a jar of rice for about 4 weeks (i was dreading turning it on) but works and seems no worse for its little adventure!

Hi men,

Steve, :D, they do sell them , waterproof waders that is :D

Easy done mate, my son was talking to me from the banks of the Teme , had a bite , and see a brand new top of the range Sony go in :D. In the Severn by now .

Did it dry out ?

Hatter

Last edited:
Try this Steve

Keep your head dry as well as your hands free!

Girl-using-a-phone-hands-free.jpeg

Hi Steve, I think Magellan built a case for the iphone for use as an outdoors gps unit. It was pretty pricey.
Just searched for it and it's called the toughcase.

Hi pal I have got one from wilkinson absolutely fantastic it's got 4 or 5 push seals and all fold to a Velcro strap there's no way water will ever get in it and there's a strap for round your neck and it's fully useable in the case it costs £1.50 fantastic bit of kit mate.

Hang on, if they are sealed inside a waterproof case, surely the microphone and speaker is not very effective and signal will also be reduced, if we are talking about still using it as a phone whilst in the case??

Hang on, if they are sealed inside a waterproof case, surely the microphone and speaker is not very effective and signal will also be reduced, if we are talking about still using it as a phone whilst in the case??

signal is electromagnetic radiation isn't it ? light gets through your windows... ;) but i reckon you might be right about the microphone/speaker bit

Sam, it is Part of the Electromagnetic spectrum, Radio to narrow it down further, operating in the 900MHz or 1800MHz band in the case of GSM 2.5G (GPRS (General Packet Radio Service)/EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution)) or 2100MHz in the case of UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) 3G WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access).

The higher the frequency, the less powerful the wave is when it comes to penetrating objects, you will notice that simply having your phone in or out of your pocket when you are in the fringe of a BTS' coverage area and another BTS is not overlapping can make the difference between having reception or not. Brickwork/Concrete/Steel are real signal blockers as are wooded areas. The plastic of a case (probably not so bad in a bag type pouch) would reduce reception, especially as it is in the near field, unless it was made of radio transparent material...............admitedly not by much but could well make a difference in weak signal areas.........my question was more related to how well the speaker or moreso the microphone would work in the case of a rigid case not allowing sound to pass through it very well.

Sorry but you did ask!!

Sam, it is Part of the Electromagnetic spectrum, Radio to narrow it down further, operating in the 900MHz or 1800MHz band in the case of GSM 2.5G (GPRS (General Packet Radio Service)/EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution)) or 2100MHz in the case of UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) 3G WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access).

The higher the frequency, the less powerful the wave is when it comes to penetrating objects, you will notice that simply having your phone in or out of your pocket when you are in the fringe of a BTS' coverage area and another BTS is not overlapping can make the difference between having reception or not. Brickwork/Concrete/Steel are real signal blockers as are wooded areas. The plastic of a case (probably not so bad in a bag type pouch) would reduce reception, especially as it is in the near field, unless it was made of radio transparent material...............admitedly not by much but could well make a difference in weak signal areas.........my question was more related to how well the speaker or moreso the microphone would work in the case of a rigid case not allowing sound to pass through it very well.

Sorry but you did ask!!

so higher frequency is less powerful ? like x-ray and gamma then ;) isn't it the lower the frequency the less powerful ?
like i said i agree about the microphone bit :)

so higher frequency is less powerful ? like x-ray and gamma then ;) isn't it the lower the frequency the less powerful ?
like i said i agree about the microphone bit :)

Off topic obviously but when it comes to penetrating objects High Frequency or Short Wave is bulkier and does not penetrate as well as low frequency or long wave, draw some sin waves with the waves very close together (i.e. higher frequency or short wave) and some more with the waves the same height but spaced much further apart (i.e. low frequency or long wave) and imagine how well the two different shapes would penetrate air for instance.............

You will notice an x-ray machine will be used with as little distance as possible between the radio isotope source and film plate, same reasoning..........

Crikey Sam, this gets the grey matter churning, thought I had forgotten most of the basics having been working in Management of Mobile Network design and rollout for so long :D

Off topic obviously but when it comes to penetrating objects High Frequency or Short Wave is bulkier and does not penetrate as well as low frequency or long wave, draw some sin waves with the waves very close together (i.e. higher frequency or short wave) and some more with the waves the same height but spaced much further apart (i.e. low frequency or long wave) and imagine how well the two different shapes would penetrate air for instance.............

You will notice an x-ray machine will be used with as little distance as possible between the radio isotope source and film plate, same reasoning..........

Crikey Sam, this gets the grey matter churning, thought I had forgotten most of the basics having been working in Management of Mobile Network design and rollout for so long :D

sound :) done a bit of quick reading, gamma only penetrates more because its ionizes atoms :) i'd forgotten most of it, and i only did it 3/4 years ago !!:D

sound :) done a bit of quick reading, gamma only penetrates more because its ionizes atoms :) i'd forgotten most of it, and i only did it 3/4 years ago !!:D

Back to the subject:

Steve, stick it in a condom and tie a knot in it, that should do the trick, you'd look a right K--b using it though :D

Just watched an episode of NCIS, and they did exactly as Ramon said above, if you do have a mishap. Remove the battery, and place the phone in a bowl of " UNCOOKED " :p rice, it will absorb all the moisture.

P.S. a few grains in your hook box is also a good idea. :)

Back