• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Interesting Vid from Mark Tunley

Im back out again up Collingham way again Monday. Now a tweak i have missed this term is the omission of a small esp line aligner. This generally nails em 100%...
Just an addition as I have seen it before, the Barbel are snatching instead of actually feeding. This is well off thread now sorry.

I always use the Jim Gibbinson line aligner , have done for decades , a size 10
Bank tackle wide gape and have very few hook pulls , In fact not had one this season yet ( famous last words )

IMG_4915.jpeg

I’ve always kept it really simple and just gone with a straight knotless knot ona nash claw. Those hooks are Lethality sharp, they just smash the top over one the bait is taken.

They do go blunt quick mind. I’m dressing them fairly often

Back to the leverage video, have you ever tested the pull on your Barbel rod, to the point where your clutch has been set? As tight as you dare? I did today with my Chimera 4, I was just about touching 3lb max pull, before the clutch went. If I get time tomorrow, I'll have a look at the Basia 2.75.

Ok then
Back to the leverage video, have you ever tested the pull on your Barbel rod, to the point where your clutch has been set? As tight as you dare? I did today with my Chimera 4, I was just about touching 3lb max pull, before the clutch went. If I get time tomorrow, I'll have a look at the Basia 2.75.
Ok then, who'll hypothesise what?

Is that on the thunnus Jon?
I reckon my barbel rods would probably break if I was to try pulling on them till the clutches on my thunnus reels gave line. Is it not something like 20lb of pressure to release those clutches when they are tightened right up?

I reckon my barbel rods would probably break if I was to try pulling on them till the clutches on my thunnus reels gave line. Is it not something like 20lb of pressure to release those clutches when they are tightened right u
Absolutely Thunnus, yes maybe my rods would break too at that. Pretty sure you can read from my post; what I mean....?

I reckon my barbel rods would probably break if I was to try pulling on them till the clutches on my thunnus reels gave line. Is it not something like 20lb of pressure to release those clutches when they are tightened right up?
Directly, without the lever of the rod.

You if you want to Damian..
I would hypothesise that with the beefier rod the recorded result on the scales will be less than was the case with the barbel rod.

I don't doubt the leverage theory, but I believe it's only part of the overall picture. The "shorter" lever will undoubtedly be easier on the angler and exert greater pressure on the fish. However, the shorter the lever, the less the angler can alter the angle to the fish. This results in less control over the fish, not more. If it were all about the maximum pressure that can be applied to a fish, you'd be better off handlining. You'd be able to apply more of your strength to the fish, but you'd be jiggered if the fish simply kited to either side. The same applies to short rods, or longer ones with a full through action.

The fact MT used 2 totally different actions, totally debunks his findings. One was a through action, the other a carp rod made primarily for distance. 2 rods with totally different loading points. Now if he had used all dark Carbon rods, then he would have had my vote and probably had a rush on his dark carbon customs?

I don't doubt the leverage theory, but I believe it's only part of the overall picture. The "shorter" lever will undoubtedly be easier on the angler and exert greater pressure on the fish. However, the shorter the lever, the less the angler can alter the angle to the fish. This results in less control over the fish, not more. If it were all about the maximum pressure that can be applied to a fish, you'd be better off handlining. You'd be able to apply more of your strength to the fish, but you'd be jiggered if the fish simply kited to either side. The same applies to short rods, or longer ones with a full through action.
The angle doesn’t change Chris whether the rod is 7ft or 17ft your the centre point and wherever that rod is pointing despite it’s length the angle is the angle.

Your point is valid if your stood on a bank particularly if surrounded by vegetation etc where you physically can’t obtain the angle with a shorter rod then yes I’ll go with that but if your stood in the middle of the river and you want to put side strain on a kiting fish you can obtain exactly the same angle with more pressure. I believe you’d have more control.

It’s not going to persuade me to swap to shorter or floppy rods mind. Simply because they are shit to trot with

Back