• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Interesting Terminal Tackle

Steve Walker

Just got back from an enjoyable 5 hour session having caught 8 barbel up to 8.10.One of the fish had another hook(trailing some braid and a broken swivel) in it's mouth which I removed.

On closer inspection it looked like about a size 12 Owner C5 that was tied to about 12'' of coated braid which was stripped back near the hook.The unusual thing was the hair.........inside the hair loop were 4 small bait bands.

I wonder if we are making rigs too complicated,I assume the rig was to present multiple small pellets on the hair.Has anyone had much success with this method ? That barbel certainly fell for it anyway :)

Sounds like a reasonable idea to me, and would be a doddle to tie up....which for me at least takes it out of the 'unnecessarily complicated' bracket. May even give it a go, though I would think a string of bands would be better than a bunch....but who knows? As you say, there is at least one barbel that liked it :D

Cheers, Dave.

This method has worked well on the thames i first saw it being used around hampton court and it certanly worked for the bream.the chap using it assured me and my mate that it had accounted for several large barbel in the past.but he did not use coated braid so perhaps the stiffness of the link plays a part?.

Andy

Rigs with a multi baited hair, and multi hair rigs have both been around for many years in carp fishing, but this simple method of multiple bands on a hair is new to me. There is a version of it in the very old rig suggestions by Andy Francis and friends on this forum....that apart, I have not come across this rig before.

It's novelty, simplicity and ease of tying are the aspects of it that appeal to me, and that 'Smiffrig' makes it even more versatile.

Cheers, Dave.

Back