• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

interesting footage - pop ups

Chris Cheshire

not strictly barbel fishing I know, but interesting to watch....

pop-ups

at the end of the clip there is another showing more successful application....

Very interesting, that pop up is way to blatant, the reaction of the carp is not surprising, most of them totally disregard the bait, not afraid to touch it with fins and bodies, but the ones that take the bait don't even tighten up to the lead, they just spit it out, the one that does tighten to the lead does not bolt, just sits there and eventually spits it out, obviously been caught before on pop ups !
The 'walrus' obviously has a problem, probably a swim bladder problem as it has difficulty in not floating to the surface !

Pop up way too high off the deck for me...they obviously new something was wrong when the tried to pick it up and it swung away from them, more often than not. He said he caught three in two hours...odd he didn't film the other two captures, if it all happened in that short a time?

Cheers, Dave.

Yeah Dave, way to high, stuck out like a beacon, they knew it was not right, although the fish that did take the bait came straight in woofed it down and tore off, unlike the others ! the other thing I noticed was his mainline, when the fish took the bait in and spat it out the mainline stood off the deck and looked likre tow rope,,,,,,,,,,, or was I mistaken ?

the other thing I noticed was his mainline, when the fish took the bait in and spat it out the mainline stood off the deck and looked likre tow rope,,,,,,,,,,, or was I mistaken ?

If it's the bloke I think it is, to help make filming easier, he's fishing at the edge of a concrete wall. The line will be coming straight down from the rod tips.

Yeah Dave, way to high, stuck out like a beacon, they knew it was not right, although the fish that did take the bait came straight in woofed it down and tore off, unlike the others ! the other thing I noticed was his mainline, when the fish took the bait in and spat it out the mainline stood off the deck and looked likre tow rope,,,,,,,,,,, or was I mistaken ?

There are always some fish more gullible than others Nick, and in a high stock lake (which that appeared to be, judging by the number of fish in the area) then competitive feeding dispels their natural reservations. In one shot, you can clearly see one fish 'shoulder barging' another out of the way, in order to get to the bait first...which would support that theory. It would also add credence to his claim of several fish in a couple of hours.

Cheers, Dave.

If it's the bloke I think it is, to help make filming easier, he's fishing at the edge of a concrete wall. The line will be coming straight down from the rod tips.

That would explain it Chris...does he do a lot of this sort of thing? Extremely interesting to see the reactions of fish in these 'unguarded moments'. Mind you, having previously viewed the Korda underwater vids....I do have a sneaky suspicion that the carps natural instincts may alert them to the fact that SOMETHING is not quite right.

Apart from anything else, the whirring sound of a running camcorders motor is likely to be detectable to the sensitive 'hearing' organs of a carp. The camera needs to be surprisingly close to the subject to film successfully underwater...especially in high-ish turbidity, as that clip seemed to show.

Cheers, Dave.

That would explain it Chris...does he do a lot of this sort of thing? Extremely interesting to see the reactions of fish in these 'unguarded moments'. Mind you, having previously viewed the Korda underwater vids....I do have a sneaky suspicion that the carps natural instincts may alert them to the fact that SOMETHING is not quite right.

He has twenty six videos listed on Youtube. JeromeMoisand - YouTube.
This one shows (one of) his filming locations.

Apart from anything else, the whirring sound of a running camcorders motor is likely to be detectable to the sensitive 'hearing' organs of a carp. The camera needs to be surprisingly close to the subject to film successfully underwater...especially in high-ish turbidity, as that clip seemed to show.

Cheers, Dave.

I doubt that his recording equipment will have a motor, camcorders have moved on from having tapes and drive motors of any kind. I'd also doubt that what actually goes under water is much more than something that resembles a small torch on the end of a pole.

There are always some fish more gullible than others Nick, and in a high stock lake (which that appeared to be, judging by the number of fish in the area) then competitive feeding dispels their natural reservations. In one shot, you can clearly see one fish 'shoulder barging' another out of the way, in order to get to the bait first...which would support that theory. It would also add credence to his claim of several fish in a couple of hours.

Cheers, Dave.

Yes agree Dave with what you said and the point I was making is that different fish react differently to baits. Some over cautious and some less so 'mug' fish if you like to call them that.
Reading the next post explains a lot, was not being critical about his mainline just that it looked very obvious what it was and to the carp it must have been unnatural, a point brought home in the Korda vids you mentioned.

Back