• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

In way of apology.

Paul Rogers

If I may post a personal message.
As many who know me will know, I have a tendency to open my mouth, or put finger to keyboard without always thinking through the consequences of what my words may achieve. I have to post this in relation to the thread relating to the Barbel Society show last weekend. It appears I have upset some members on here, and that has moved onto a wider audience. I had no intention to create upset or anger, yet unwittingly, this is what I achieved. Several friends have taken my words hard and this has upset me greatly. .I must apologise to anyone my words have upset, and may I request, those of you who feel this is not needed, would you allow this to go without any comment, as that may create more upset to anyone.

After reading your original post I nearly slipped off my stool, and in doing so I gave you a "like" 🤔
No need to apologise we are not a flaky lot and besides the close season can cause some short term fever that is soon cured by the middle of June.😉
My post here was to indirectly apologise to those most offended. I did ask that if you wish to show support for me, I would prefer of those comments are kept off this thread. I wish to at least try to repair some of the upset I have made

My post here was to indirectly apologise to those most offended. I did ask that if you wish to show support for me, I would prefer of those comments are kept off this thread. I wish to at least try to repair some of the upset I have made
Dont worry Paul 👍

Paul - if you feel you have to apologise for what was obviously a personal subjective opinion expressing little more than general disappointment and your own observations of the day, then I probably need to hand myself into the 5-0 for some of the stuff I've unashamedly written guilt-free on forums over the years...

Paul

I have to say after reading your original post and then your subsequent attempt at some sort of an apology on this forum to persons you say you have upset I have to say your social skills are somewhat lacking.
Therefore I think it only fair that a few things are mentioned to put this whole affair into context so people get a balanced understanding.

Firstly let me say I personally don’t know you having only ever having said hello to you in the past so I don’t really give two hoots what you say.

However as you are aware I was present at the Barbel show as a member of the committee both on the Saturday and Sunday.

You seemed quite happy to accept the very generous hospitality given to you by the Barbel society at the time including free hotel accommodation / meal etc so that you could attend the launch of the new Barbel book you were involved in.

You seemed quite happy when you were in lots of conversations with all the diners on the Barbel society table at the Saturday night dinner and I believe you actually shared a hotel room with another member of the committee who you are well acquainted with.

At no time as far as I am aware did you show any dissatisfaction with the show, the committee or anyone else attending and the book launch was a great success with over 100 books sold I believe.

The Barbel show itself was also a great success and everyone I spoke to at the show thoroughly enjoyed it.

If as you say you didn’t enjoy the show, the hospitality or anything else then you certainly didn’t make that known while you were there but for some reason only known to yourself you decided to criticise it afterwards.

Is it any wonder that some people who may be sensitive to such things got very upset about it.

It is not about having an opinion and spouting it to all and sundry but behaving in a considerate and professional way.

If as you say you didn’t enjoy any of it why not mention it to people face to face at the time rather than the way you did.

Last edited:
Paul

I have to say after reading your original facebook post and then your subsequent attempt at some sort of an apology on this forum to persons you say you have upset I have to say your social skills are somewhat lacking.
Therefore I think it only fair that a few things are mentioned to put this whole affair into context so people get a balanced understanding.

Firstly let me say I personally don’t know you having only ever having said hello to you in the past so I don’t really give two hoots what you say.

However as you are aware I was present at the Barbel show as a member of the committee both on the Saturday and Sunday.

You seemed quite happy to accept the very generous hospitality given to you by the Barbel society at the time including free hotel accommodation / meal etc so that you could attend the launch of the new Barbel book you were involved in.

You seemed quite happy when you were in lots of conversations with all the diners on the Barbel society table at the Saturday night dinner and I believe you actually shared a hotel room with another member of the committee who you are well acquainted with.

At no time as far as I am aware did you show any dissatisfaction with the show, the committee or anyone else attending and the book launch was a great success with over 100 books sold I believe.

The Barbel show itself was also a great success and everyone I spoke to at the show thoroughly enjoyed it.

If as you say you didn’t enjoy the show, the hospitality or anything else then you certainly didn’t make that known while you were there but for some reason only known to yourself you decided to criticise it afterwards on social media.

Is it any wonder that some people who may be sensitive to such things got very upset about it.

It is not about having an opinion and spouting it to all and sundry but behaving in a considerate and professional way.

If as you say you didn’t enjoy any of it why not mention it to people face to face at the time rather than the way you did
To my reading Paul's post was perfectly reasonable and measured. He was giving a personal view of his experience of attending the event. And he was quite complementary about the book launch. I was surprised to note Paul's subsequent apology post. I know I'm not the only one who thinks he has nothing to apologise for. And nothing in his original post was rude, vindicative or remotely personal. Unlike yours.

Paul

I have to say after reading your original post and then your subsequent attempt at some sort of an apology on this forum to persons you say you have upset I have to say your social skills are somewhat lacking.

At no time as far as I am aware did you show any dissatisfaction with the show, the committee or anyone else attending .

If as you say you didn’t enjoy the show, the hospitality or anything else then you certainly didn’t make that known while you were there but for some reason only known to yourself you decided to criticise it afterwards.
Thank you Steve for your comments.
You bring up several points that are relevant.
1.My social skills may be suspect, I have always felt that I may be mildly autistic. I did say in my original post that those who know me are aware that I may speak or type before putting my brain into gear.
However, having survived twenty five years working with individuals with mental health difficulties, I must have some skills.
2. You suggested that I didn't express my feelings. I spoke to several individuals and told them I don't enjoy shows.
3. I retired early on Saturday night
4. I left on Sunday before 1pm, again expressing to several people that I wasn't enjoying the show or speakers
5. I abused the hospitality of the society. I offered before the show to share the cost of the room with my friend.
6. My comments were personal opinions, which in hindsight, I should have written that in my first post, which may have prevented this whole debacle.
I didn't mean to upset anyone and now feel we should let it rest and hopefully time may heal the rift I unfortunately caused

Are you talking about this thread @Paul Rogers

If so I dont think you said anything out of order at all, everyone is entitled to their opinion, people get arsey when your opinion doesnt match theirs, let them get on with it mate

Back