• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

in the market for a new shelter ?

Hi Joe - hope you are well
I'll measure it but at the fattest end it's approx 3-4" dia I think, and roughly the length of a standard brolley ( not a big 60" job)
I have a Drennan 2 rod quiver for quick sessions and it's quite small and it goes in that
Larger quivers, no problem

Cheers Paul, it sounds ideal. Let us know how you get on with it.

atb,

Joe

Hi Joe - hope you are well
I'll measure it but at the fattest end it's approx 3-4" dia I think, and roughly the length of a standard brolley ( not a big 60" job)
I have a Drennan 2 rod quiver for quick sessions and it's quite small and it goes in that
Larger quivers, no problem
I take that it comes with fibreglass storm rods, with the storm poles being an extra Paul?

I take that it comes with fibreglass storm rods, with the storm poles being an extra Paul?
Hi Terry- yes that's correct- they are essentially elasticated tent poles , that can be broken down
It looks like it will get a proper workout on Sunday/Monday so I'll know if they suffice or whether I need the extra storm poles.
Normally I would put them in the quiver but trying to keep everything as light as possible.

Hi Fellers

Slightly 'Off Piste' I know but bear with me;)........... a brilliant product called Tenacious Tape;)
It is easy to use relatively cheap and sticks like 'sh-t to a blanket'.
If you want to try and extend the life of your favourite brolly/shelter give it a try:) https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=tenacious tape uk

I always fish under a brolly, most of my barbel sessions are late at night and it keeps me dry from the damp that descends quite apart from rain.

I just bought an Aqua fast & light, tried it out yesterday on the grass and it'll do me, but when I fish with one of my pals we always share a swim whilst we chat away and quietly put the world to rights :). But reckon the new Aqua won't be right for both of us, so I need to do some work on my (15yr'ish old) 60" Badger Overnighter which is bigger and higher, the brolly I use all of the time whether solo or with pal. No rips or holes but some of the tape on the seams has deteriorated.

However, I looked at that tape Keith and found the descriptions (on various eBay sellers) a tad confusing.

1. 50cm x 7.5cm wide - is that one piece?, and simply peel and stick

2. roll of 3" x 20" (50cm x 7.5cm) strip of tape - 60 sq. inches (375 sq. cm), can be used in conjunction with seam grip and other urethane adhesives

3. 20 Meter Length of 22mm wide Hot Melt Seam Sealing Tape, apply using domestic Iron

4. can be moved or repositioned within 24 hours - so if it sticks like sh##to a blanket how come?

So I'm none the wiser to be honest. What did you use?

I always fish under a brolly, most of my barbel sessions are late at night and it keeps me dry from the damp that descends quite apart from rain.

I just bought an Aqua fast & light, tried it out yesterday on the grass and it'll do me, but when I fish with one of my pals we always share a swim whilst we chat away and quietly put the world to rights :). But reckon the new Aqua won't be right for both of us, so I need to do some work on my (15yr'ish old) 60" Badger Overnighter which is bigger and higher, the brolly I use all of the time whether solo or with pal. No rips or holes but some of the tape on the seams has deteriorated.

However, I looked at that tape Keith and found the descriptions (on various eBay sellers) a tad confusing.

1. 50cm x 7.5cm wide - is that one piece?, and simply peel and stick

2. roll of 3" x 20" (50cm x 7.5cm) strip of tape - 60 sq. inches (375 sq. cm), can be used in conjunction with seam grip and other urethane adhesives

3. 20 Meter Length of 22mm wide Hot Melt Seam Sealing Tape, apply using domestic Iron

4. can be moved or repositioned within 24 hours - so if it sticks like sh##to a blanket how come?

So I'm none the wiser to be honest. What did you use?
Hi Paul

The one I used was 'Tenacious Tape' on the single roll, in clear, probably the 50 x 7.5cm from which I cut the appropriate size patches but I was repairing the area around the central boss where water was gathering and then dripping on me which only required short lengths, If you need to use it in longer lengths to repair a whole seam you may find it easier to either get help or disconnect the spokes from the lower boss so that it can be laid flat;)
I also used it in very small pieces to repair the little holes caused by the odd scuff and dink over the years and even these little repairs are holding brilliantly after several uses in terrible conditions..
You have to peel the backing off and then very carefully offer it up to the spot you want to repair, (easier than I'm making it sound).
There is no other process required (ironing etc).
I can assure you that once you have 'smoothed' it down in place it does stick like sh-t to a blanket and you wont be moving it the next day or any other;)
Hope that helps
Keith
P.S. Forgot to add, got mine from Go Outdoors with my discount card ;)

Hi Terry- yes that's correct- they are essentially elasticated tent poles , that can be broken down
It looks like it will get a proper workout on Sunday/Monday so I'll know if they suffice or whether I need the extra storm poles.
Normally I would put them in the quiver but trying to keep everything as light as possible.
Did you get to use it Paul? Any feedback?
I received mine this morning ... not sure if it was a 'return' or not as it came out of the bag inside-out!? Putting it up in the lounge was a bit of a trial ... a really struggle getting the free spoke into the central boss, and then I had to bend one of the fibreglass storm rods a hell of a lot for it to fit into the Velcro wrap-over. The other storm rod was easy-peasy (first one a tad too long?). I'm leaving it up now for a while hoping it will 'settle in', but initial erection took over 15mins (steady now!) Hopefully it will be easier next time.
N.b.. glad I tried it out indoors first. Wouldn't have fancied my chances yesterday in the southerly gale blowing here.

Paul,
Are you talking about the small piece of wire which is twisted to lock the spokes and boss in place. If so I used the wire you get at garden centres for fixing to a fence. It is easy to twist, available in different gauges and comes plastic coated. Worked fine when I repaired my brolly.

Hi Just got in , been out since Saturday( not fishing til Sunday of course )
So it got a great workout
It is a bit confusing at first as you pack it away inside out but now I'm used to it
Can't fault it, easy to put up , quick too
Had a lot of rain and performed faultlessly and I didn't seem to get them annoying brolley rain drops as it all seems to fall down the sloping back
Loads of room, I am average height (5'11) and preferred to sit in it widthways so my legs stayed out the rain but still room for a taller angler
I did use storm poles to get a bit extra security when the winds got up one night but to be honest it was perfectly stable as it comes. Chuffed.
Unlike the new platform trolley I got , didn't even get up the path and the wheel snapped off

Thanks Keith, I'll have another look and decide what to try. The difficulty with fiddling with the centre boss is finding suitable wire to re-fix the spokes - at least that was my experience when i tried fixing a pal's.
Hi Paul
I am lucky to have 'acquired' a reel of stainless 'Lockwire' used for securing critical bolts on Tank engines;)
Does the job perfectly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/RacePro©-Safety-Lockwire-Meters-Stainless/dp/B00PJ7IFO2/ref=asc_df_B00PJ7IFO2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=339671415049&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10967377454704800807&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045717&hvtargid=pla-700406981198&psc=1 just an example, I'm sure you could find alternatives if you need to;)
I doubled it up for extra security. Sorry about the long link but I have no idea how to rename it:rolleyes:

Hi Just got in , been out since Saturday( not fishing til Sunday of course )
So it got a great workout
It is a bit confusing at first as you pack it away inside out but now I'm used to it
Can't fault it, easy to put up , quick too
Had a lot of rain and performed faultlessly and I didn't seem to get them annoying brolley rain drops as it all seems to fall down the sloping back
Loads of room, I am average height (5'11) and preferred to sit in it widthways so my legs stayed out the rain but still room for a taller angler
I did use storm poles to get a bit extra security when the winds got up one night but to be honest it was perfectly stable as it comes. Chuffed.
Unlike the new platform trolley I got , didn't even get up the path and the wheel snapped off
Thats great news Paul
and a sounds like the perfect lightweight alternative to a normal brolley :cool:

Hi Paul
I am lucky to have 'acquired' a reel of stainless 'Lockwire' used for securing critical bolts on Tank engines;)
Does the job perfectly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/RacePro©-Safety-Lockwire-Meters-Stainless/dp/B00PJ7IFO2/ref=asc_df_B00PJ7IFO2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=339671415049&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10967377454704800807&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045717&hvtargid=pla-700406981198&psc=1 just an example, I'm sure you could find alternatives if you need to;)
I doubled it up for extra security. Sorry about the long link but I have no idea how to rename it:rolleyes:

Thanks Keith. I have previously tried various wires but always the final twist broke it :oops:

Sorry about the long link but I have no idea how to rename it:rolleyes:

When you click the "insert link" icon

insert_url.jpg

Paste the "long URL" in the top box, and type text (for example "clickety-click here") in the bottom box, then click "insert"

Gerry et-al,

I hate carrying more weight than I have to, especially now older and weaker than when in my 'prime'. It's the age old issue of weight, mobility over comfort. Two winters ago I was still using an old (late 80's) Green efgeeco thick plastic/oil skin bullet proof 50" brolly for river fishing. Just about ok if you going to fish a specific swim and stay all day, but hellish heavy. Before last winter I looked at everything on the market. I decided that as I wear great clothing, I just needed something that would keep the worst of the wind and rain at bay and my chair and bag dry, and be light and quick to deploy/take down when semi roving. I settled on the NGT 45" brolly (as shown above in Terry's post). I added a length of strong para cord and carry an additional short but strong bank stick to peg it down. it weighs only 1.7Kg and fits easily into a 2 rod quiver. I used it all last winter in gusts up to 45+ mph. It survived and I'm very pleased with it. At around £20, if it goes west! I'll just invest in another one.

IMG_4269.JPG

This is the shelter in operation - as you can see I had a fair bit of gear as I was fishing for 3 days but I think plenty of room
IMG_4266.JPG

I nearly bought one the other day but (and please don't get me wrong Paul) having seen these photos I'm glad I didn't. There has been too much compromise on 'coverage' for me.
It is too high and open for my liking, If you had the usual swirling winds that accompany most rain showers you and your gear would get soaked.
Only my personal impression but would be interested to hear feedback at the end of the season, for the moment I will stick with my repaired Korum brolly and storm poles;)

I nearly bought one the other day but (and please don't get me wrong Paul) having seen these photos I'm glad I didn't. There has been too much compromise on 'coverage' for me.
It is too high and open for my liking, If you had the usual swirling winds that accompany most rain showers you and your gear would get soaked.
Only my personal impression but would be interested to hear feedback at the end of the season, for the moment I will stick with my repaired Korum brolly and storm poles;)

Totally agree Keith, it looks more like a windbreak rather than a shelter..

You've got to remember this shelter only weighs 1.5k.Be better if you could use shorter front storm poles to bring it down lower but I don't think the sides allow for that.

Back