• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

In line feeder help.

Neil Smart

Thinking of going down the in-line feeder route, but never really had much experience with this method on rivers. Any advice as to pros and cons would be most welcome, plus any pointers as to make/type of feeders.
Cheers.

Hi Neil, hope you are having a better season than me....I have had one outing (opening night) and blanked :D

Anyway, to the matter in hand. I don't use inline feeders, tried them, didn't like them...but then that's just me, and means nowt. One thing to think about though is that when using a standard feeder, the method you use to attach the feeder to the reel line should be in some way weaker than the reel line, so that if the feeder gets snagged up, it breaks free, leaving the hook link and possibly a fish, still attached (just as a bomb would be attached).

However, an inline feeder used in the normal way has the reel line passing through it...which as far as I am aware, means that a snagged feeder = a problem. Obviously you could attach the feeder to a separate piece of line, or have the hook link attached paternoster style, as in a helicopter rig...but then, it would no longer be an 'inline feeder'. I see them as OK for silvers etc., but worrying for bigger, more powerful fish. There may well be a simple answer to this problem that I haven't thought of, because I do admit to a degree of senility (seriously :eek:)....so if anyone knows the answer, please put me in the picture.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave ,
Well it's early doors yet, so plenty of time to get you hand in before the challenge on your bit, kudos for that Dave. Personally I have six out already, but the Wye is a generous old girl.
All the points you raised are worth considering, and the snagging potential is real, however there is a stretch on the Wye that is fairly snag free, and the feed needs to go in every couple of minutes...the inline potentially would be better, and with burying the hook bait would be convenient.
Cheers
Neil

Inline feeders don't snag as much, normal feeders tend to act a bit like a little anchor when you pull them but they do hold the bottom better.

Inline feeders don't snag as much, normal feeders tend to act a bit like a little anchor when you pull them but they do hold the bottom better.

The weight of the feed gets dispersed so I guess that will not help in keeping the feeder where you want it, especially in faster water.

Do you use inline Rhys?

Guru have a new range of method feeders due out this month called the Hybrid. They have interchangeable stems which convert the feeder from in line to regular swivel mounting, so both presentations can be offered without the need to carry too many feeders. I'm going to give them a go, but then new stuff is there to catch anglers, not fish.:D

Back