• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Illegal fishing lines/nets

Anthony Pearson

Just a heads up/reminder on this. If you find illegal lines etc. do not touch them. Instead, report them immediately to the EA:

Incident hotline
Telephone: 0800 80 70 60
24-hour service

https://www.gov.uk/report-an-environmental-incident

It is possible that the EA are aware and are already watching the location in an attempt to catch the perpetrators. If you are caught removing them it may be assumed that you are the one fishing illegally. Proving otherwise may be difficult.

If I see an illegal line it's coming out, and I if I have interrupted a clandestine operation then tough, I will flash my EA Rod license. :)

Do you not think it might be better Neil to take the advice offered and maybe allow the EA to catch the people that may have other lines elsewhere and also prevent them undertaking further line laying.

Also of course enable the law to penalise them?

Hi Graham, i'm sure Neil is just thinking of the fish's welfare. If, the perpetrators were to spot Neil trying to remove them, i'm pretty sure they would make themselves known, as would the EA. If i was alone, i would opt for Anthony's suggestion. Having seen a recent mugshot of Neil with his superb catch, i wouldn't like to argue with him, he looks tough as nails. :D;):)

It's a bit of a dilemma this situation.On the one hand you want the offenders caught in the act and prosecuted,the best way to do that is to report the illegal nets or lines to the EA and let them deal with it.
On the other hand you don't want to leave the lines in the water in case a fish becomes tethered and dies.
I think I would take pictures, remove them and then report it to our controlling club who I know would get the EA involved.If the EA were doing a stake out operation and caught me removing illegal lines then I would take my chances in explaining my actions.I'm with Neil on this one.

Of course removing the nets would be the natural reaction by anglers. But a short term fix for potential larger operation.
Catch them. Make and example. Fine them heavily or other punishments. Like being sat on by the Pons.

Do you not think it might be better Neil to take the advice offered and maybe allow the EA to catch the people that may have other lines elsewhere and also prevent them undertaking further line laying.

Also of course enable the law to penalise them?

Yes of course I suppose it would, but how would I know if I was walking into a 'Honey Trap? I guess the first thing I would know is the aforementioned Pons and his tooled up mates bearing down on me oooh eer :eek:

Anthonys advice is correct . Leave the nets / lines in situ and report , this is the only effective way of getting a response and hopefully bringing the perpetrators to justice . I recently attended a bailiffs training session/ presentation for York and District Amalgamation of Anglers , this was the advice given by the angling trust trainer who was also an ex police officer and certainly knew his stuff

Of course removing the nets would be the natural reaction by anglers. But a short term fix for potential larger operation.
Catch them. Make and example. Fine them heavily or other punishments. Like being sat on by the Pons.

Exactly. They'll only come back until they're caught

Anthonys advice is correct . Leave the nets / lines in situ and report , this is the only effective way of getting a response and hopefully bringing the perpetrators to justice . I recently attended a bailiffs training session/ presentation for York and District Amalgamation of Anglers , this was the advice given by the angling trust trainer who was also an ex police officer and certainly knew his stuff

All very true, and Kevin Pearson really is 'on the ball'. But, if it was lines, I'd take the baits off.
ATBA

Well gents it happened to me about 10 years ago on a very remote area of the river Colne. The bottom of the Bath road stretch /junction of the free stretch.I came across a 10m seine net stretched from bank to bank ,weighted down with big leads and with big floats at the surface,a professional set up.I did not think and just jumped in and dragged it out,released the fish that were still alive.We dragged it across a field about 80yds and hid it all under a bush.My Mate was with me and i dread to think what would have happened if we were challenged by the people who set it,we were raging.I called the EA and they were unable to attend that day.Next afternoon they phoned me back and i explained the 2 mile walk up the free stretch to the net.He explained that the club would give them access and they could drive down.A couple of hours later they phoned back and i directed them(the EA and club bailiff) back to the bush on the boundry fence it was hid under, F**K ME was the shout down the phone.A few days later the bath road Bailiff phoned me and gave us 2 free season tickets (we made very good use of them).Would i have done the same again,in a second but i think we should phone the EA first,in those days we just did not know a contact number and feared the net being pulled and reused elsewhere.Later on in the season i came across a sunken fish/eel trap made with an ironing basket that came out as well

Never seen nets or illegal lines in the rivers perhaps this happens in more populated rivers up north or Avon section.
The only problem ive had on the river section i patrol, which is classed as an SSSI area is Rabbit traps. One walk produced 5 traps.

Back