• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

If??

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
If You were coming to the end of your time, or had thought this is enough. Who would you like to fish with if you could with anybody?

Me Peter stone, I'd love a day with him.

Saying that my ex used to fish with me. I'd love that again.

probably john wilson so could throw him in when his incessant laughing finally drove me over the edge. happy new year to everyone apart from above mentioned

I would love to re live the day I took my then 8 year old son to the Mole and watched him as he landed his first barbel,...... with a little help from his old man.

IF

Yes Dave my Dad was my best m8 sometimes we could fish all day and not say a word all day but still have a good day in each others company.
the last 10 years have gone so quick since he past i'm just glad i have 2 sons that are mad on fishing.

It's perfectly understandable that many of us feel melancholic for absent friends this time of year, and rightly so I think. I can't help but feel a few pangs of selfish guilt though, as three of my lifelong fishing buddies were raised with single parent families and never experienced a good father- son relationship.
Easy to consider it a relatively recent phenomenon.
There are plenty of special days and trips we have shared over the past 40 odd years that I would love to re live and am grateful to them for being able to share. Looking forward to making some more special memories this year.

If there was just one day that had the biggest influence on my fishing career it would be in the summer of 1977 when my dad's old friend and barbel expert, Roy Walker took dad and me, along with his son to have a look at the Royalty and to fish the Throop for the first time.
I took time out to sit behind Roy for a while and watched as he expertly trotted a piece of meat on the pin and played out a barbel of 7-8 lbs. I was forever 'hooked ' to chalkstream barbel fishing thereafter!
Yes, thats a day I would love to have again.

It would be nice to fish with Bob Church if I'm on my last legs or not...the latter preferably.

Our drifts crossed a few times on Bewl water a good few years back, but I never had the chance to meet him proper.
The trout magazines back then were dominated by Bob. Going back when I was about eleven or twelve he answered a letter I posted in one issue of a mag still going now. Snakes or Ceramic lined rings on a Fly rod? I seem to recall he answered my question over a three page spread.

I'd like to think we would have plenty to talk about, trout, big barbel and predators.

I'd like to go back to my youth maybe and fish off the local bridge Reybridge on the Bristol Avon. Some days 3 or 4 rods proped against the bridge hoping not to run into our local bailiff Roger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-02-08-41-21_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-02-08-41-21_1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 220
Personally I'd prefer to spend my last session with someone I've fished with over the years, rather than a total stranger....no matter how big a superstar they are.

I'm with Anthony on this one, the friend that introduced me to coarse and Barbel fishing several years ago and has been my regular fishing buddy ever since. He has also cost me a lot of money as i seem unable to stop buying fishing gear of some sort:)

Stephen

probably shot myself in the foot!

i would fish with the lads ive fished with the over the last few years beltin bunch of *****!:eek:

I would love to fish with my Dad again, perhaps that will happen when my time ends. I was 11 when he died suddenly, and my parents had been separated since I was 4. My Dad bought a house in Poppleton which had the Yorkshire Ouse flowing by at the bottom of the garden and we basically learnt to fish together. I have many treasured memories of our exploits on the Yorkshire rivers, 24 years on I think he would be quite surprised at some of the fish I've caught since then!
I'm not planning on that any time soon as I've got the best fishing partner I could wish for in my missus, this summer my daughter will be 4 and my son 2 and I can't wait for our first family trip to the river.
Thinking of the famous anglers - I'd love to fish with John Wilson, his TV shows, books and articles were how my Dad and I learnt to fish. Martin Bowler and the late Terry Lampard would be up there too but for shear entertainment value ( go out on a high! ) I would like to go Mullet fishing with Henry Gilbey! :)

i would love to be fishing and having my 3 lads along for company when they were young, questions questions questions but i loved being by the lake with them after dusk, one would always sit up with me and how nice it was while the other two were snuggled up in a sleeping bag in the bivvy, they always woke me if i dropped off with a hot coffee and full of excitement at the prospect of me putting a carp on the bank, nothing more i would like than to relive a moment like that:)

Back