• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

If Only

Derek Funcks

Senior Member & Supporter
You could only fish one stretch of a river for the rest of your years, where would it be ????? For me, it would have to be the Ironbridge area of the River Severn. It was where i was introduced to barbel fishing by 2 pals. My red letter day produced 9 fish, including my P.B. of 9,12. Would love to get a 10+ one day, but hey ho, What would be yours ??????

Last edited:
Not an easy question to answer Derek.
The size of the resident fish does not really interest me , although it is nice to get a fish that pulls back, the species count does make a difference.
The surroundings also would have a bearing on my choice .
It would come down to a toss up between the upper stretches of the Ribble or a certain stretch of the upper Wye I think.
Then there is the Swale , oh dear, cant make my mind up now 🤔

David

I'd say "The Teme between Bransford Bridge and its confluence with the Severn : 4 miles of winding, wild river, encompassing 'Becks' and 'The Lower..''. And as this question is largely theoretical, mostly academic in its nature, I'm going to plump for "...in the late 90's/early 2000's"
Halcyon days.
(with an away-day venue of the Throop in the 80's/90's ;) )​

The Bristol Amalgamated stretch(es) of the upper B Avon in the days when it was full of really big roach.

The Bristol Amalgamated stretch(es) of the upper B Avon in the days when it was full of really big roach.
Wow Tim, that's for me as well, those big Roach at Malmesbury eh? Saw some crackers and managed a few, best going 2.75lb which was the smallest in the shoal. First Barbel from Chippenham lit the fire...☺

The stretch of the river Lot, France, west for 45 k - that will keep me busy for the rest of my fishing life!

Home-stretch.jpeg

I would also choose the River Severn at Hampton Loade, but those ducks would have to be removed (along with the person responsible for putting them there!).

Would have to be King's Weir - the river stretch in the late 70's early 80's. Real golden days, nothing too big but where I learnt my 'trade'!

If the question relates to how the river fished at it's best as opposed to how it is now, then for me the Cherwell at Shipton on Cherwell down to Thrupp.

For me it would be the River Charente between Angeac and Sireuil. The river is a chalk stream like the Hampshire Avon but navigable like the Thames. This gives breathtaking clarity in 12 foot of water with four locks, half a dozen at least weirs, mill pools and races with tremendous weed growth in places. The river splits and reforms many times so you can find tiny fast running streams, slow glides, islands, gravel bars and every other feature that you could wish for. Carp run to over 50lb, barbel to almost double figures and there are specimen pike, zander, perch roach and chub along with catfish of over 2,5 metres.

An added bonus is that with an annual Carte de Peche costing around €100 p.a. you can fish anywhere including from a boat with no extra charge. And, no close season for coarse fish. If you got fed up with that you'd be better off taking up golf.

Hard one this, as Iam lucky enough to within 5-10mins drive of two great rivers the h/Avon & d/stour.
But if I had to choose it would be the d/stour. I’ve had some fantastic days and memories fishing this great river.

Back