• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ideal first pin...

Given that the reels are a blue colour it is just possible that looking good is a factor. I've decided to buy one as they have been endorsed by a few good barbel anglers who know their onions. I don't mean the ones on the Okuma payroll, I mean the likes of Darryl.

Conrad

Jumped in head first, and ordered a Fred Crouch Pin. After a chat i had with Paul4, i was sold. All i need to do now is christen it with a barbel.

Thanks Paul for the advice.

Jon

I think, if I was to buy a new pin rather than go second hand, it would absolutely be the Fred Crouch one. Having seen a few people using them now on the bank and all of them telling me how good they are, plus the fact that they do look just like the real thing to all but the experts, how could you do better for £130?
In fact I may have to consider buying one myself, despite my nature being fundamentally opposed to anything built in this century!

Chris

I can't explain. Try reading this (you'll need a while though :))

https://barbel.co.uk/site/articles/pin/fish_cpin_bfwstyle.htm

if it helps convince you then get one and enjoy using it; if it doesn't then fine.

There are no rights or wrongs, you use whatever is comfortable for you and your style of fishing. Me? I have used c'pins for so many years for all my fishing. A couple of years ago I caught my first barbel on a fixed-spool for 30 years, and to be honest I didn't enjoy it at all :)

paul4

Thanks Paul,
not for me I suspect. Maybe one fine day I'll get to know someone that knows what they are doing with one for some instruction. Until then I rather suspect that I'd simply be making my life difficult.:D

Well,
it looks like I've acquired a suitable rod. Now I've got to think about the prospect of an inexpensive pin to give it a try and see if it's for me.:eek:;)

Depends what you want to use the pin for , static stuff , the Okuma range is well engineered , keenly priced and robust if maybe a little over ventilated , ratchet is not over strong though ...Trotting ? Again the Okumas would be fine , 2nd hand Speedias , Grice and youngs ,any thing that spins up well . All the high end pricy stuff , its all bling , after all centre pin is only a wheel to contain and release line . Best all rounder ? A Speedia wide drum for me .

Have a punt on the Okumas in the BFW classified if they are still there

Trotting only in the short term. I suspect that me and casting with a centrepin is a non-starter.;):eek:

Forget all that wallis casting stuff , good old 'nottingham cast ', pull off a few loops of line and flick your float in , jobs a good un . Well it is until your loops of line flick over the rod in the wind , catch on the rings and bring everything to an ungainly halt . Instead just get a long rod pop your float in and let the current do the work or ..fish close in or fish a small river .These approaches avoid the humiliating casting lash ups and associated social disgrace . It's great fun really .... :D

I will lend you one if you like . I have a few well used but perfectly serviceable models you can have a go with before you commit ....Just drop me a line

Thanks all.....this is a really enjoyable thread, as well as informative. I'm now looking at a few 'pins on a well-known auction site :)

my old tf gear pin does for me, the clutch is a bit on the heavy side, cheap and cheerfull...£50.

Without wishing to sound a sour note here, prospective buyers should be aware that it is only human nature for people to tell anyone who will listen that the reel/rod/car/whatever that they own is DEFINITELY the best thing since sliced bread...without a doubt the best type available...sad but true :D:D:D

Now...I own an old Speedia...I have never used it yet, but man, you should SEE that baby spin. I SWEAR I can start it off in the morning, and it will still be running when I get home from work...:D

Cheers, Dave :D

Back