• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

I see the price of grub has gone up

Mick Holtom

Senior Member & Supporter
Ive just paid £9 for 2 pints of maggots. At £4.50 a pint down south I wonder what you pay in other areas of the country?

I am trying to buy some deadbait for pike fishing, but the smelt and roach are out of stock almost everywhere now.

£2 a pint at my local (Wirral) tackle shop and they'll often give you them for free when they're getting old. Sort of tackle shop that you can feel loyal to when it comes to bigger purchases.

Brexit or Putin to blame???
You should be able to get maggots for nothing soon as according to the news forecasts this winter we are going to starve/ freeze to death due to the ‘government’. Once my wife has ‘gone’ I have promised her that I will use her body appropriateply to collect my maggots. She seemed pleased to be thought of as ‘useful’ at last.😱
G.T.

You should be able to get maggots for nothing soon as according to the news forecasts this winter we are going to starve/ freeze to death due to the ‘government’. Once my wife has ‘gone’ I have promised her that I will use her body appropriateply to collect my maggots. She seemed pleased to be thought of as ‘useful’ at last.😱
G.T.
Great idea - nervous mine has too much fat rather than muscle to fully develop a decent crop - might get her on the protein shakes in readiness . . her brain might create some decent pinkies as she's always saying its more developed than mine . . .

£3.50 a pint in the Midlands

£3 a pint at my local tackle shop. I do the owner a few favours, so I my get them a bit cheaper though.

Maggot prices will be going up. Mostly due to fuel and electricity cost.
Also cost and difficulty in getting meat is making it hard for farms.
A couple have recently closed down, so expect shortages.

Bought a pint last week for £2.50 (Cambridgeshire). Still cheaper than a pint in the pub, apart from Wetherspoons.

Back