• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

I need a quality Umbrella

‘Fraid i’m In agreement with Wayne. I bought a Greys some months ago but not had a lot of use so no holes in mine (yet!) but very disappointed with the build quality. No better than a 30 quid budget brolly only a lot lighter :(

Relum brotel
Does any body remember the relum brotel? So light weight and so easy / quick to put up
I think it was a really great idea, but poor build quality, but is still my favourite day session shelter, which I still use sometimes!
I would love a tackle manufacture to make an updated version

Korum now do a brolly with steel ribs which I’m thinking of getting. Anybody here got one ? I have two of their fibre ribbed brollies and they are absolute rubbish, as Brian said earlier, they fold up like a tulip in the wind. Last time out in high winds my mate laughed his bollix off because he said I looked like I’d been eaten by a Giant Venus fly trap.

Im a huge Wychwood Brolly fan I have the now discontinued 50inch wonderful quality brollys thats why they come with a FIVE YEAR warranty as standard

the new 55" looks the nuts but may be too big for some

It's always difficult recommending stuff, what one likes another doesn't.

fwiw these are the pictures of my last Wychwood brolly after a single session in a stiff breeze (certainly not a strong or gusty wind)

Picture009.jpg Picture005.jpg Picture006.jpg Picture007.jpg Picture008.jpg

But I've had other Wychwood gear that I found very good.

Used a second hand Jrc Brolley for a number of years with storm sides and four attachments for poles , and tent peg metal loops, getting a bit battered now a couple of small holes repaired with hot wax glue. Will shop around for maybe same make like the good head space with enough shelter from most bad weather without being a bivvy

It's always difficult recommending stuff, what one likes another doesn't.

fwiw these are the pictures of my last Wychwood brolly after a single session in a stiff breeze (certainly not a strong or gusty wind)

View attachment 10656 View attachment 10652 View attachment 10653 View attachment 10654 View attachment 10655

But I've had other Wychwood gear that I found very good.
dont know how old that is ( looks like very old model) as it doesn't look anything like mine ? and did you get it replaced under warrantee ??

Have the Korum ones still got the what looks like lead string at the top of the pole that holds the frame?

The one I had a few years ago went ping under a stiff breeze first time out

I have had the Wychwood Solace and the Wychwood 50inch MhR brolly, both have been excellent, so much so the 50inch MHR, I do overnight under. Its that light, I only wish they did a 45 inch, just for the fact I would like the smaller size.
As for choosing a new Brolly, it's hard to go on recommendations as it's a personal thing as PaulW, has said.. hold out till the tackle shops are open and have a very good look. Wish I did, then I wouldn't have a garage shelf full of em lol.

..........and did you get it replaced under warrantee ??
Didn't bother with replacement Gerry, just got a full refund.

IMO it's the materials that are the death knell to brollies (Richard Isaccs would know this stuff).My old Veals brolly lasted until last year. It was a 45" and only good for short evening sessions, but bought it early 70s. The ribs were springy and they returned to straight after bending. My view is that some modern 'eastern' manufactured brollies have some constituents (maybe molybdenum? manganese? carbon? - its 50+ years since I studied this at college) missing - suggests for cheapness. So as on the Wychwood I pictured, the ribs bent an stayed bent, hence the whole thing literally fell apart.

how long ago was this as it dont look anything like the ones I have or seen ??

At a rough guess, maybe 10+ yes? I dunno, I bought it to replace an incorrectly sewn one ,(can't remember the make), and it looked good .......... until I used it :rolleyes:

I'll pop on my computer and can likely find a picture - I'll post it here.

With all the smashed brollies about,I was wondering has anyone a pole they would like to sell ?.Looking for an extending one,with the standard male thread on top,cheers.

At a rough guess, maybe 10+ yes? I dunno, I bought it to replace an incorrectly sewn one ,(can't remember the make), and it looked good .......... until I used it :rolleyes:

I'll pop on my computer and can likely find a picture - I'll post it here.
AAaghh now it makes sense mate they really upped their game in the last 5 years or so chalk and cheeses mate

AAaghh now it makes sense mate they really upped their game in the last 5 years or so chalk and cheeses mate
I'd like to think they've got better materials, AND quality control.

But like all things angling (or in life) once bitten twice shy. Would never buy another Wychwood brolly on the strength of my experience.

Ah yes, here it is

Brolly_cropped.jpg

But I have to add it was no worse than a pal's (make unknown)

sutton_140304_002.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a Nufish Aqualock for about 5 years and am very happy with it. It has a tilt facility and a second location for the main pole giving an angle of about 45 degrees. The fabric is good quality and it dries quickly.
But I have not had the chance to compare it with other makes to give a comparison.
It was about £60 which I think was good value.

Back