• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hydropower Problems?

Surely the EA have to have control of the weirs, hence flow rates, regardless of the needs of the hydropower system.

Tend to agree, the flow should be the same, the energy is reduced. I wonder if there is an abstraction point upstream, combined with very low flows.

ray, have you seen them pictures of hydro dead fish pictures, it's like the fish have been put through a meat mincer.

Many Thanks ...The pic and info says it all!

Absolutely Ray. It never ceases to amaze me how some can see these things coming, while others (Probably the vast majority, sad to say) seem to be taken in by the hype over and over again. Perhaps even more depressing is the fact that those who are not taken in, who fight such nonsense, are labelled as cynics, malcontent's.....or worse :(

Cheers, Dave.

The problem here is the EA in allowing the fish to be chopped and killed 'before' switching the machines off. (i.e closing the gate after the horse has bolted) Then they will start them up again for more fish to be killed in the next 24 hour period!

If you want to do something about this then it is absolutely vital (and urgent!) to follow the advice of the Angling Trust and read their position statement on hydropower HERE and to read and act on the Trust's Guide to Objecting to hydropower HERE.

Also write to your MP (you can find them HERE) and let them know that you support the Angling Trust's campaign against hydro. Act now before it is too late...

[SIZE=-1]“If you know of a hydropower scheme near you just count to ten - one, two , three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine and TEN. There you are! A fish has just been killed in it... Now count to ten again! There you are another fish is dead... Now consider this - that is going on all day and night!â€
[/SIZE]http://www.anglingtrust.net/core/co...Position+Statement+on+Run+of+River+Hydropower

Back