• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Humminbird Smartcast - help!!

Richard Booty

Senior Member & Supporter
I found this usually useless but occasionally very useful. However I think I have managed to break the remote sensor. I was using it when boat fishing and managed to bash it about a bit. It still tells me the water temperature, but not the depth!

I have tried Humminbird customer service over in the US but they weren't particularly helpful. Has anyone got any advice or help about getting a replacement? I know I need an RF15e model (and that the 'e' bit is vital!) but am drawing a blank....

I played with one of the hummingbird fish finders years ago. They have a massive flaw, the transducer/transponder batery cannot be changed. The relacement you buy could be year's old and only work a short time etc etc. Personally get rid of it and get one of these ebay #291423504760. Had mine over 5 years and its been priceless and worked everytime.

I reiterate Jon Fs comments. I had £200 smart cast version, spent probably another £120+ on yellow floats. Great when you can get it working but that was only 5% of the time, wasted a lot of cash and time - never, never again....

Thanks - looks like a good option.

The Smartcast has been a useful bit of kit..... when it works...! To be honest, recently I've only been using it as a depth finder when boat-fishing on a lake. I forgot to bring the sensor back on board and motored off with it bashing against the side of the boat which seems to have broken it!

Back