• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Huge tackle auction

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
Next time you get moaned at for "too much fishing tackle", just quote this one guys collection going under the hammer next Tuesday at Perth Auction House. One of the biggest privately owned collections of fishing tackle ever sold.
Screenshot_20240225-161930_Chrome.jpg

Next time you get moaned at for "too much fishing tackle", just quote this one guys collection going under the hammer next Tuesday at Perth Auction House. One of the biggest privately owned collections of fishing tackle ever sold.View attachment 28671
Just taken a good long look at the on-line catalogue. Can't believe the amount and quality of gear being sold!!! Take a look, you won't be disappointed!

Just taken a good long look at the on-line catalogue. Can't believe the amount and quality of gear being sold!!! Take a look, you won't be disappointed!
I was hoping to ogle over some reels although like a heathen I got bored of scrolling through funny looking fly rods made of fibreglass and cane.

Sounds like he’d found the right women, not only accepted the collecting but was happy for him to continue.

I was hoping to ogle over some reels although like a heathen I got bored of scrolling through funny looking fly rods made of fibreglass and cane.

Sounds like he’d found the right women, not only accepted the collecting but was happy for him to continue.
Keep scrolling.....the reels are there! I was interested in buying some old fishing books but there's hundreds of 'em! 😂

I didn’t find much of interest, unless you’re looking for a fly rod, fly reel, multiplier or Mitchell 🤷‍♂️
Since my "youth" many many years ago, I have tended to explore all disciplines of angling. Struggled with sea fishing so concentrated on coarse and game. This type of auction appeals to anglers like myself who struggle to concentrate on just one "discipline "!

There couldn't have been much of interest there. I scrolled through several pages and there was zero fishing tackle for auction. I gave up on the idea of scrolling through 11 pages of items.
Screenshot_20240228-101710_Gallery.jpg

This is just one side of the Auction Hall. There are hundreds of rods, reels, lures, books etc etc. Looks like a lot to me!!😂😂

There looked to be some decent items to my eye.

The books included some valuable items and the cataloging seemed to undervalue most of them.

I used to frequent Angling Auctions in Hammersmith years ago. I found that some items appeared to have low values set BUT these are designed to draw bids. Many items have (undisclosed) reserve prices on them. The auctioneer will take bids but not necessarily accept them in an attempt to drive bids up
For those of you new to bidding at auction and if you want to look for fishing gear, just go to the auction website and select a particular sale (General or Collectable sales are best) There will be a "keywords" function (normally) and just type in fishing. Do NOT be more specific than that. You will get lots of "hits" including (probably) paintings of fishing boats, fish cutlery etc but also fishing gear. General auctioneers tend not to describe, say, a Shimano baitrunner reel as that. Their catalogue will say "fishing reel". I have picked up some excellent bargains in this way, just because they don't know what they've got. It's great fun. Set a monetary limit and go for it!!

One of my local auction houses organises 2 ‘sporting’ sales every year. There is usually plenty of cheap stuff and a few really nice items.

They ran a fishing specific auction a few years ago for the Inland Revenue. Allegedly some bloke hadn’t paid his tax (or similar)so they confiscated his tackle collection. He was one of the worlds top collectors and the auction was magical. I sat thru the entire day watching the cream of angling collectors fighting over unique items. My hands stayed firmly in my pockets.

One of my local auction houses organises 2 ‘sporting’ sales every year. There is usually plenty of cheap stuff and a few really nice items.

They ran a fishing specific auction a few years ago for the Inland Revenue. Allegedly some bloke hadn’t paid his tax (or similar)so they confiscated his tackle collection. He was one of the worlds top collectors and the auction was magical. I sat thru the entire day watching the cream of angling collectors fighting over unique items. My hands stayed firmly in my pockets.
I can sympathise Tim. All those years ago when I visited the auctions in Hammersmith I sat mesmerised by the prices achieved. Some guy told me that one of telephone bidders was Roger Daltrey (he of The Who) and suggested that I don't even bother to bid as if RD wanted it badly enough, he would just keep bidding! 😏

I can sympathise Tim. All those years ago when I visited the auctions in Hammersmith I sat mesmerised by the prices achieved. Some guy told me that one of telephone bidders was Roger Daltrey (he of The Who) and suggested that I don't even bother to bid as if RD wanted it badly enough, he would just keep bidding! 😏
Same here. I went to a Bonhams sale once and a certain Mr P Drennan was sitting at the back. There were several unusual cases of stuffed fish by the ‘right‘ taxidermists and unsurprisingly he bought ALL of them.

Oh dear. I've just read the hammer prices of the items sold at the Perth Auction yesterday. Some buyers got real bargains! There were boxes of books selling for a fiver! 🤨 Hardy rods for £30! Obviously no idea of condition, but if these items were being sold in London they would have fetched more I'm sure. Still good luck to the buyers as they will do very well if they intend to sell on even allowing for auction charges!

Back