• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How to target bigger Chub advise please

And in 25 secs you have toast.😂

No. in the blender. Take to sizes you want according to species/water flow.
Cloud or particles.
Simples.

Soft bread, Honestly it works. Few seconds under the grill then it blends perfectly for liquidised. Mashed bread I don’t bother to blend first. If it’s stale it’s spot on just to soak and mash.

You will find that bread mash with water in a bucket weighs a ton. If you rough/chunky liquidise loaves and keep in a bag and do not add water the bucket will be lighter to carry. You can then add water as you go if you want to and put the bags on top of the slop. You can always just squeeze liquidised together and feed it direct (its warmer on your hands than mash on a cold day). If I am running out of mash I sometimes put bread slices into the landing net fold it over, dip it under the water and then mash by hand as I go.

You will find that bread mash with water in a bucket weighs a ton. If you rough/chunky liquidise loaves and keep in a bag and do not add water the bucket will be lighter to carry. You can then add water as you go if you want to and put the bags on top of the slop. You can always just squeeze liquidised together and feed it direct (its warmer on your hands than mash on a cold day). If I am running out of mash I sometimes put bread slices into the landing net fold it over, dip it under the water and then mash by hand as I go.
I said in a previous post I mash it at the river bank in river water.
I just take a stale loaf or a bag of liquidised. Tear, dunk, mash, feed as I go.

Ideally, stale sliced bread torn into little bits and soaked on the bank then?
I’ve got a couple of sliced loaves drying out, I will get some more to keep in the van and buy fresh for hookbait.
I made a bag of coarse white crumb ground bait ages ago, is that any good for anything?
Thanks again for everyones help!

Ideally, stale sliced bread torn into little bits and soaked on the bank then?
I don’t think mashed bread needs to be any more complicated than that. Others might disagree but for me chub fishing especially with bread is best kept as simple as it possibly can be.
most of my chub fishing is done on tiny little rivers where tackle and bait are always secondary to stealth
Rivers like the Severn, this is obviously not as important.
different end of the scale, different approach

Small dead baits, whole unshelled prawns
Occasionally fished a club stretch of the Thames and often would see people turning up after dark in the Winter. Turns out they were after the Chub. They always fished sprats and said it was rare to catch one under 5lb!
They occasionally caught Barbel.
Prawns are excellent for Perch, Carp and Barbel, can't recall ever getting a Chub on one. I usually use peeled prawns from the supermarket.
Thinking about it I have had a few Chub on unpeeled prawns mounted on a prawn pin, trotted under a float for Salmon, they were pretty big.
Curiously, in the same pool I will trot a red dyed shrimp, sometimes for 8 hours, in over 5 years I have never had a Chub.
Break out the maggots though and they appear like clockwork.

Last edited:
Occasionally fished a club stretch of the Thames and often would see people turning up after dark in the Winter. Turns out they were after the Chub. They always fished sprats and said it was rare to catch one under 5lb!
They occasionally caught Barbel.
Prawns are excellent for Perch, Carp and Barbel, can't recall ever getting a Chub on one. I usually use peeled prawns from the supermarket.
Thinking about it I have had a few Chub on unpeeled prawns mounted on a prawn pin, trotted under a float for Salmon, they were pretty big.
Curiously, in the same pool I will trot a red dyed shrimp, sometimes for 8 hours, in over 5 years I have never had a Chub.
Break out the maggots though and they appear like clockwork.

Are they fishing wires with the Sprats Paul? Seems like a Jack magnet.

Couldn't say but I'd imagine so. Don't like to interrogate club members too much.
Thinking back, I think they were, some of the new soft stuff, could be wrong. I've had loads of Chub on deadbaits on wire and spinners and plugs though.

I've had days on the upper Severn and Thames when I've not been able to loose feed anything accurately to the distance required, even when wading on the upper Severn, and stubbornly wanted to trot a float, Brown & white crumb groundbait mixed to a very stiff consistency has worked really well for the chub. Those sorts of distances or conditions usually require a big heavy/loaded waggler with very little shot down the line. The chub and occasional barbel have ended up well up in the water.

12063564_10153173749312253_1390480768056625614_n.jpg

Blended up 3 loaves.

Will damp it up just a little to get it down in the water a little bit quicker.

The Lower is a fickle cow at the moment and not fished it for 2 months but hoping that I get the same result as last season on the stretch.

River had dropped a fair bit so 6gr Avon to start 2 rod lengths out just inside line main push However will be rising so prepared to go to 8gr if needs.

Unlike many other rivers it sometimes takes an hour to pull fish in the swim as they are usually fairly spread out.

Fingers X it's not big chub heaven normally on the Lower unlike the Middle.

Last edited:
Blended up 3 loaves.

Will damp it up just a little to get it down in the water a little bit quicker.

The Lower is a fickle cow at the moment and not fished it for 2 months but hoping that I get the same result as last season on the stretch.

River had dropped a fair bit so 6gr Avon to start 2 rod lengths out just inside line main push However will be rising so prepared to go to 8gr if needs.

Unlike many other rivers it sometimes takes an hour to pull fish in the swim as they are usually fairly spread out.

Fingers X it's not big chub heaven normally on the Lower unlike the Middle.
Best of luck Gra. ATB

Back