• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

how;s your season so far

Ian Booth

How's your season going? Mine's a bit mixed - I had 8 Barbel and 4 Chub fishing two days on the river Severn. I blanked fishing two days on the Wye.
I had a nice double barbel and a good sized chub on the Ure the other day.

Next week hopefully

Not been yet due to slicing small finger off with a hedge trimmer, hopefully next week once pin is removed cant wait!

Over 30 barbel so far but then I am very close to the Wye, so not that exceptional. That would be a cracking seasons return on the Kennet though. I have predominantly been fishing short evening sessions which given the conditions has certainly helped. Most in a session has been 12 and the size range has been good to see- from 1lb up to just under 10lb.

Am missing the Kennet though so will be paying a visit late summer.

Relatively poorly compared to previous years if I'm honest, I've deliberately been avoiding the Chub though which has created a few blanks, new river to learn and a new baby tying my time up further means there's a definite handicap been added. I'm positive though that it will all come good soon.

About to leave for my first session on the Wye.
Couldn't have picked a worse day weather wise, but I don't drive so I can't pick and choose.
Not expecting anything until 6/7 at the earliest, will stay as long as the bites keep coming.

Done a few evening sessions with only a few fish each time and a couple of blanks. Biggest so far is 7lb 4 but lost a bigger fish earlier this week. Also had a pb chub of 6lb 5 which was nice.

Not to bad fishing a completely new stretch of the Trent 3 visits for 8 fish including blank. One trip to the Wye for 8 fish. Nothing exceptional though best fish was my first from the Wye at 9 13.
Low water levels are not helping now though and as I don't fish nights on the Trent or anywhere come to that it's only going to get tougher.

My new 'freelining for barbel' rod is great for catching pike, eel (!!), and zillions of chub. Otherwise ok.

Three trips, one bite, one chub (first chub for 3 or 4 years), no barbel

That's the Loddon for you :(

Funny but most people I speak to fishing the Trent (daytime) are finding it very hard going. Two reasons.

One. its exceptionally clear and low. Two, some think the fish have not moved into the prime lies as yet, still recovering in the shallows after spawning, and re-spawning. To date I've not had any barbel trotting, I may be forced to fish the tip:eek:

Having a brilliant seaon up to now been twice this week had 17 barbel Wednesday & 8 barbel today biggest 11lbs 12 ozs plus quite a few nice chub & bream,averaging 20 or more each week in 2 day sessions a week, usually go at 4 in morning till teatime.

Best night of the season so far for me. Lost count of how many I had in the end but had another 6lb+ chub. Second of the week.

First session of the season .

Caught two a 11lb 8oz and 5 1/2lb first Trent session of the new season , next trip planned!

Caught two a 11lb 8oz and 5 1/2lb first Trent session of the new season , next trip planned!

Nice mate.

My last 4 sessions have ended with 20+ fish ranging from less than half a pound up to 9lb 5. Had a load of chub including 2 6's and a few eels as well. Quite happy considering I only fish for about 3 hours a time. Good to see some baby barbel as well

Back