• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How much longer ????

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all ,
I was looking round my local tackle shop today and noticed the Free Spirit HI S feeder rods .
I was amazed to see one on sale at 14ft long and 160gm casting weight 😳😳😳
What's your opinion on rods at this length and casting weight ??? Bearing in mind it's a feeder rod !!
Are there big " SHARKS " lurking in our rivers ??🤣

They're not as brutal as they sound.

I have a 14ft CTX 120g and it handles silvers quite well.

Just makes a far side chuck easier and keeps more line out the water to get away with smaller weights.

It is down to the relationship between length and casting weight. There is a growing demand for rods capable of chucking 150g + feeders and to produce a rod that can do that with a decent action requires a longer length.

No good for me as many swims are restrictive in height and a 10 foot rod is as much as can be managed.

I have not seen these rods, but they do not sound to be a million miles off a
“ Continental” style beach rod as made by such Companies as Trabbuco or Vercelli.
I have a couple myself for use on flat beaches , and have often thought that they would double up as a barbel rod, if you could put up with the sometimes garish colours, and odd guides . They come in all sorts of lengths, up to about 16 ft, and are designed for anything from fish of a few ounces up to probably 12 or 15 lbs plus .

David

There’s quite a few of these sorts of rods around now, used with a big spooled feeder or mini big pit carp reel to cast feeders very long distances on big waters for bream.

I have a cheap Shakespeare 14’ continental feeder and it’s a great rod for the money.

The match men love the free spirit Rod, even at the huge price.

Back