• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How long before moving swims on the wye?

Jon Kennard

Hi guys fished the wye a few times but never in the best conditions. Im heading up this weekend and wondered how long people would give it before moving swims? Fishing armastone was planning on fishing the feeder and pellet and meat. Plus the float if conditions allowed cheers Jon
P.s anyone fancy joining me :)

Love to join you, John, but too busy!
In the few trips I've had to the Wye, I'd say give it an hour or so before moving, if you've had any knocks/liners, a bit longer.
However, it's such a lovely river, that if I find a swim I really like, I might just stay there even if nothing is going on!

Jon, I'd advise differently, I generally move every 20 mins until I find fish and even move again once Ive caught if bites dry up. If its a stretch you know well and know the productive swims you may take a different approach and wait longer. If I've tried 6 or 7 swims without a bite then it starts to suggest they aren't feeding so I may then sit longer in a known swim or one I fancy.

Thanks gents quick and helpful replies. The first time I fished it at armastone was feb. Caught a grayling (first ever) trotting then lost a good grayling! Fished that peg all day plugging away to nothing. Next day moved regularly 1 chub early on then lay hour went into the peg grin the day before and had 6/7 chub to over 5lb and a lost barbel. Fishing for you but hard to understand. I'll let you know how it goes. Not sure whether forecast is good or not? Getting colder and rain due on Friday.

Back