• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How far ?

d/stour & h/Avon within 15mins 😬 Iam on the rdaa ticket plenty to keep me occupied 👍
I do Travel further afield carp fishing Mostly within 1.5hrs drive.

Mid / upper Trent and lower Derwent on the doorstep for me currently, but will drive 40 odd minutes to the stretches of Trent Newark way on.

My true restraint is cost rather than distance or time. By car I am approx 60 and then 45 miles from the two general areas that I plan on frequenting.
Hoping to get out and about maybe a couple of times a week.

No monster fish or big bags to be had in East and North Yorkshire, but I think I am very fortunate. I fish four very picturesque and lightly used rivers all between 15 and 40 minutes of my home. The Yorkshire Ouse, Derwent, Wharfe and Nidd. I only fish in daylight and usually only for 4 - 5 hours at a visit, but I probably catch three times out of four and manage a couple of doubles a season. Plus it's a lovely place to live.

No monster fish or big bags to be had in East and North Yorkshire, but I think I am very fortunate. I fish four very picturesque and lightly used rivers all between 15 and 40 minutes of my home. The Yorkshire Ouse, Derwent, Wharfe and Nidd. I only fish in daylight and usually only for 4 - 5 hours at a visit, but I probably catch three times out of four and manage a couple of doubles a season. Plus it's a lovely place to live.
Do you not fish the Swale Mike ?

David

Not tried the Swale David, but been thinking about giving it a go for a couple of years. It's just so easy to get to a good looking spot on one of the four rivers I know. But will have to give myself a kick and make the effort. Any advice on a good day ticket stretch would be appreciated.

Middle Avon is about 20 mins away for me with the Stour (Throop) perhaps another 10 mins, so not too bad and still affordable….just!!

Only longer trip I make these days is an annual close season outing to Marsh Farm which is around 60 miles and an hour or so each way, traffic permitting.

Dave

Heading East the H.Avon is under 4 miles, the D.Stour is West just under 4.5 miles. So I don’t go far tbh.

I tend to visit the Wye for a day or two, which despite my intentions tends to be every other year. Ross on Wye is about 130/40 miles each way.

Most of the Ringwood & District stretches of the Avon and Stour are a 100+ mile round trip, so an hour-ish each way for me.

I think they’ve finished the making the M27 ‘smart’ now, so hopefully no poxy diversions on the way home this season. They haven’t been fun for the last couple of years. Especially after a blank.

I book AirB&bs two or three times a season, so I can fish a few days on the bounce. I told myself I wasn’t going to bother with a June 16th one this year, but caved in a few days ago. I’ve stayed in some really good value places close to Christchurch.

Not tried the Swale David, but been thinking about giving it a go for a couple of years. It's just so easy to get to a good looking spot on one of the four rivers I know. But will have to give myself a kick and make the effort. Any advice on a good day ticket stretch would be appreciated.
Cundall Lodge is really well organised & after an initial flurry for opening day is generally quiet enough. https://www.cundall-lodgefarmfishery.co.uk/ Good chub as well. My favourite would be Fawdington - there is a day ticket scan thing on the fence posts now! - Helperby & Brafferton AC - I'd like to join but think I`d be about 130 when I got to the top of the list.

After reading the club membership thread, I was wondering how far members would travel for a days fishing .

I will travel 100 plus miles for a days sea angling , but more or less draw the line at anywhere more than probably 60 miles maximum for a day coarse fishing, and then not too often.

I do not live in an area with much river fishing at all. I can target barbel within a minimum of about 30/40 miles, so any day trip has to be planned . I do not do full nights, and will probably call it quits at ten pm as is the rule on my most “local “ river venue, and elsewhere probably only fish till midnight elsewhere where allowed. I do have a couple of seasonn tickets but day tickets offer better prospects generally.

Sadly my once preffered closest river venue has been spoilt by greedy landowner who has banged up prices and spoilt the river banks, so I am having to drive further for even a few hours fishing.

Still waters are still available locally if you like fishing from platforms.

Not my cup of tea at all.

David
I used to travel a lot for work and would fit sessions in around that. I’ve now changed jobs so that’s out the window.

I’m spoilt for choice as I have numerous bits to go at with the Severn, upper - mid trent, w’Avon and a multitude of smaller venues all within a 15-45minute drive. With time being restricted by work and parenthood I tend to stick as close to home as possible, I do get bored of venues fairly quickly so I’ll generally fish a few venues in rotation. Fortunately I much prefer the smaller more difficult venues so it suits me just fine.

I doubt I've travelled more than fifteen miles to fish in the last couple of years. Even prior to that, going further was a special treat. It would normally involve a social aspect. Going to the Trent or Ribble to fish with friends.

My five most regular haunts are 3 miles, 4 miles, 12 miles, 12 miles and 13 miles respectively. I've come to terms with a distinct lack of barbel and simply target the best of what is actually available within my self imposed limits.

I can be on the banks of the Trent within about an hour… but I’ve never fished it. I’ve got miles of river to go at close to home so I decided to try and master that first rather than spend hours driving. I will eventually fish the Trent but only when I’ve achieved my local barbel targets.

Other than that, I’m really tempted to make a trip to the Severn this year, or next. I grew up in Telford and fished Ironbridge, Bewdley, Atcham, Bridgenorth and further downstream. I’d love to go back now I can fish properly.

c.70 miles to the Trent for me. It's not the distance that's the killer, it's the motorway closures. The A1(M) is dire at the best of times but it gets worse at others. I once had an A1 northbound closure which diverted us via the M18 to Sheffield. Imagine my disbelief on finding the M1 closed at the very first junction! **** happens...far too often in this neck if the woods. 😡

0.7 miles to the Trent for me! I have however joined a couple more clubs and getting into other styles of fishing so will likely get a bit further afield this year. Anything up to an hour seems reasonable to me.

7 mins to the Teme, 15-20 mins to the Middle Severn, and 30 mins to the Lower Severn. Warks Avon is 45mins but I've given up on it, as I've only got BAA access to it, and their decent bits are busy (or full of snotties!).

Back