• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How do you like your meat?

Meat fried in Cajun seasoning etc or meatballs or ..........

Last edited:
I think any strong flavour will work, personal favorite being hot madras, but an addition that really makes a difference, especially in clear waters is to dye the bait, dark brown to black asd well as adding a flavour, has proved devastating in many rivers for me, just another edge. I use food colour, either liquid or in paste form, dissolve in water (hot for pastes), add flavourings, mix well then chuck in the meat, leave until desired colour is achieved, then drain off and freeze (add more flavour prior to freezing if required, with spices I do not think you can over do it!!!!)

Tried dying Meat Black many years ago and for three weeks caught pike every session, even at Adams mill, stopped using black for that reason. Green worked very well and i would also pour on the grease/oil from the Sunday roast Chicken and leave to marinade.

Tried dying Meat Black many years ago and for three weeks caught pike every session, even at Adams mill, stopped using black for that reason. Green worked very well and i would also pour on the grease/oil from the Sunday roast Chicken and leave to marinade.
Re. grease/oil off roast .... if you ever grill kippers, do them on foil then collect the juice from off it. It's really oily/fishy/smoky : kipper essence ☠

Re. grease/oil off roast .... if you ever grill kippers, do them on foil then collect the juice from off it. It's really oily/fishy/smoky : kipper essence ☠
Yes Terry, the oil from smoked Mackerel is good too, I let it go cool , bag it and freeze it and just keep topping up the bag until i need it.

Years ago I used to use 'secret agent', cant remember who made it but it caught me plenty.
The only downside was any spillage or if you got it on your skin it was impossible to scrub off, I bet my old unhooking mat is sat at the bottom of a council tip somewhere still stinking.

Years ago I used to use 'secret agent', cant remember who made it but it caught me plenty.
The only downside was any spillage or if you got it on your skin it was impossible to scrub off, I bet my old unhooking mat is sat at the bottom of a council tip somewhere still stinking.
Secret Agent was a Rod Hutchinson flavour and worked very well, but as you say was very persistent. Reckoned there was a hint of it in the Source and some other effective additives.

Cheers
Bob

Back