• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How do you like your meat?

Kevin Daly

With the current river/weather state I thought I'd enquire about meat flavours.
Are you a pure garlic powder man? Perhaps at wurst a curry nut? Or a birra both?

How do you do yours?

Fry ... briefly ...in plenty of olive oil with finely chopped fresh garlic, paprika, garlic powder, sweet chilli & garlic sauce ... then freeze with as much of the oily liquid as poss in the bag/container....

also do the same with lots of tiny pieces which won't fill up the fish, but will act as pre-bait or attractant for the first hour or two.

Last edited:
Cube, and fry in Patak's Tikka Masala paste

Cut up into desired bait size, open freezer bag, x 2 big glugs of skopex, close bag and rub bag together so al the insides are coated with the Skopex flavour, place meat into bag and liberally rub insides of bag over meat, seal bag and place in the freezer. Be prepared for the good lady of the house to query when she gets home, "What's that bloody smell, its bloody revolting...?" P.S. Eels don't like Skopex

Cut up into desired bait size, open freezer bag, x 2 big glugs of skopex, close bag and rub bag together so al the insides are coated with the Skopex flavour, place meat into bag and liberally rub insides of bag over meat, seal bag and place in the freezer. Be prepared for the good lady of the house to query when she gets home, "What's that bloody smell, its bloody revolting...?" P.S. Eels don't like Skopex
I didn't know eels don't like skopex, that's one great tip Lol, thanks. Never been into adding flavours to meat, much prefer fresh out of the tin approach, but will try this.

I didn't know eels don't like skopex, that's one great tip Lol, thanks. Never been into adding flavours to meat, much prefer fresh out of the tin approach, but will try this.
I wouldn't categorically say eels never eat skopex meat, as there will be always an exception, but without a doubt, Skopex gives you a chance and the edge when eels are present and a problem , we have proved this over the years many times, especially on the Severn

Light frying in strong flavours is an awesome way of doing it. You get a good firm skin well penetrated in the flavour.
I’ve never really seen the point in bankside glugging something like meat.
As soon as it hits the water it’s pretty much gone!

I have posted about this before , years ago rolling meat i could not get a touch on my usual garlic flavour. My fishing buddy fished through the same swims without realising i had already run through them and started to catch. I could not believe it but that day they wanted Curry flavoured meat over Garlic. I borrowed some Curried meat and started to catch. The moral of the story is If you have hammered them on one flavour change it, even if you have total confidence in what you have been using.

I have used and heard of scopex but never heard of skopex is it something different or a spelling error ???

Size wise I prefer to cut it into larger pieces and then I have the option to reduce the size as I wish when I fish.

Safe to say with all these recommendations, just make it stink ! 🤣

Back