• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

how do you keep your Luncheon meat on ?

WTF.... Bacon Grill, hook pushed right through, then 1/4 - 1/3 a turn, point pulled/pushed back into meat... job done, end of.
ATBA
I agree with Terry, just push through, twist and pull back. When using smaller hooks and pieces of meat I pull the hook through with a baiting needle. I will happily cast this and be confident it is still on the hook.

Ditto Terry and Mike's posts, never felt the need to hair rig meat, but do make sure you use chopped ham and pork instead of luncheon meat as they're a lot firmer.

Similar to above, 1/4 of a large tin of spam, pull a size 4 or size 2 long shank hook through the meat with a baiting needle, 1/4 turn and pull the hook back into the meat

So typical replies to a question - there are no rights or wrongs :)

All methods mentioned and everyone who opts for any particular method is happy that they are using the best for them, although others may prefer their own method

So typical replies to a question - there are no rights or wrongs :)

All methods mentioned and everyone who opts for any particular method is happy that they are using the best for them, although others may prefer their own method
Confidence Paul ...as ever eh.

It is Terry :)

I usually choose to bury my hook, sliding meat down from above as previously explained rather than hooking it as I did for years but found when hot and the meat softened the split caused by the hook caused it to come off.

Anyway I digress. Always a single large lump with sharp edges knocked off. Last year I had a fish on for a few moments in strong flow but decided to reel in, and yes the meat had gone. I rarely cast more than once in a session so in strong flow might a change be required?

So for a change I decided to use a second lump pushed down on the first. I had a new PB.

I didn't fish on that night, nothing could have topped that.

So a dilemma was "born". Was I then to be confident to use two lumps, or stick with the one?

I chose one :)

Meatballs are a great bait and you can get somequite tough versions. Whenever thought that a change was in order, my mate and I often used to use 2 or 3 strung up the line. Cheap bait as well at 0.60p a tin for approx 12 single baits. The ones containing chicken tend to be tougher, as do the ones in tomato sauce. Flavour them or notthey will catch.

Of course meatballs caught the Severrn record barbel a few years ago. Howard Maddocks was the angler, used Campbell's straight out of the tin apparently ,but who knows what secret concotion he might have added. Never caught on them, but never flavoured, them, will give it a go.

It is Terry :)

I usually choose to bury my hook, sliding meat down from above as previously explained rather than hooking it as I did for years but found when hot and the meat softened the split caused by the hook caused it to come off.

Anyway I digress. Always a single large lump with sharp edges knocked off. Last year I had a fish on for a few moments in strong flow but decided to reel in, and yes the meat had gone. I rarely cast more than once in a session so in strong flow might a change be required?

So for a change I decided to use a second lump pushed down on the first. I had a new PB.

I didn't fish on that night, nothing could have topped that.

So a dilemma was "born". Was I then to be confident to use two lumps, or stick with the one?

I chose one :)
Well you've sure made a 'rod for your own back' there Paul!

Campbells in gravy used to be soft, but ones in tomato substantially tougher in my experience. Supermarket own brands are generally tough (some contain lots of chicken besides pork. My particular favourite was Sainsburys pork with bacon - don't know whether you can still get them. Although great straight from the tin, used to treat mine with coatings and for extra appeal, used to core and pack the void with mashed bits. For a paste like wrap then cut in half and remount )(.
Coatings examples were curry powders, spices, melted cheese, Thai fish sauce, oils and trout pellet dusts. If you wanted the coating to stay on that bit longer then dried powdered milk was good and sticky.

This talk about meatballs has got me thinking again.. I still have some "swedish" meat balls in my freezer (£1 a tray in £ shops and similar convenience stores) Neil Smart knows the ones I mean, I showed him and he proceeded to eat one.! didn't have the heart to tell him at the time they had been in and out the freezer about 20 times and were sort of well past their sell by date so to speak, anyway he's still here but.... they are tough, stay on really well and are imo a perfect size... I've used them a few times on the wye and severn but never had a touch and sort of gave up on them.. seeing this has switched the lightbulb on.. "flavour 'em you muppet!" cheers Bob...

A good coating used to be the oil you used to get with the original Monster Meaty Bites. They did them in two sizes - around 10mm and bigger ones at 16 to 18mm. Expensive, but you got loads of pongy (to say the least) oil which I used to save and use to soak standard meatballs in for weeks. The original Meaty Bites were tough as well. Notice they relaunched them, but softer and much less oil with a different smell (a bit reminiscent of Rod Hutchinson's Secret Agent but more subtle and Source like) . Still got some orignal tins of MB.s.

Forgot to say that for multiple meatball baits that a piece of silicone tube of the line above the hook would help avoid line slicing the upper bait(s).

Many thanks for all the replies folks

its given me a few things to think about and try

I also occasionally inject salmon oil into my meat in summer with a big syringe I got for pike fishing. Had some good results but wether or not I’d of caught without will never know

Back