• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

how do you keep your Luncheon meat on ?

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
Im sure there are a few ways of keeping Luncheon meat on in fast flowing rivers whats your ?
it would be nice to find a few new methods I havent tried

Hi Gerry, i use these, cheap as chips, and come in various sizes. Fox pellet pegs. But also work great for meat. :)

fox pellet pegs.jpg

You're presumably talking about hair-rigging? Can't be having with fiddly things on the bank, just use a bait-coil (and no, I can't remember ever losing one)

bait-coil.jpg

But I prefer, especially if it's weedy or snaggy, meat directly on hook.

Using a quick-change thingy, remove hooklength, cut-down stringer needle to thread on to hooklength, push meat down towards hook (I use a No.4), nothing more needed, it's good to go. Two pieces of meat if you are feeling like there's a hungry big girl in there :)

Last edited:
The bait band made of pole elastic, see the article by Steve Stayner in Barbel Fisher 9. Meat as large or small as the size of loop made. Also good for a stiff paste. What ever happened to Steve.

The bait band made of pole elastic, see the article by Steve Stayner in Barbel Fisher 9. Meat as large or small as the size of loop made. Also good for a stiff paste. What ever happened to Steve.
thats as clear as mud ???? Barbel fisher 9 ???

You're presumably talking about hair-rigging? Can't be having with fiddly things on the bank, just use a bait-coil (and no, I can't remember ever losing one)

View attachment 4919

But I prefer, especially if it's weedy or snaggy, meat directly on hook.

Using a quick-change thingy, remove hooklength, cut-down stringer needle to thread on to hooklength, push meat down towards hook (I use a No.4), nothing more needed, it's good to go. Two pieces of meat if you are feeling like there's a hungry big girl in there :)
Personally don't like these things seem to be an accident waiting to happen, I have never needed anything more than a piece of grass or if it's bombing through a twig to secure it on the hair. The Fox v stops are excellent too, but overall it's really down to what brand of meat we use, of amount of spikes stops or twigs will hold in place some meat, such as Spam, whilst Plumrose etc is far firmer.

What brand of luncheon meat is your choice Gerry?
well to be honest not used it very much hence my post............ hair or hook interested in all methods to be honest as I just bought a dozen tins of Spam with Garlic that heard so much about and as people in angling are very inventive I thought I would ask I was planning on using a bit of spaghetti as a stop if I hair rigged it

Always rated chilled plumrose ham and pork with a good halibut glug , spam is a bit softer, most are from the tulip company, there has been a shrinking in size with the tins over the last few years, used to put direct onto a long shank hook when fishing smaller rivers, but for the Trent have used hair rigged with a corn stop .

Hair rigged using the biggest fox pellet peg and small piece of thin plastic straw, the straw is used inside the meat to stop the hair from cutting through the meat .Similar to the enterprise meat stops. You can side hook it with a big hook like a 2 or 4 on a single piece ,or bury it if the area is snaggy.One method that seems to have gone missing recently is the Kebab method.You use a thick 15lb dacron hooklength, 2 hook and use a stringer needle,cut your meat in 1 inch cubes.Put the meat on the stringer needle (up to 7 pieces) and pull the swivel through them,push the hook onto the bottom piece,works very well in coloured water.Another small river method that can work well is to cut it very thin (inch wide, 3 inches long and 5mm thick and sow the hook into it like a meat flapper leaving the point at the bottom it acts very different and puts plenty of flavour out

Last edited:
well to be honest not used it very much hence my post............ hair or hook interested in all methods to be honest as I just bought a dozen tins of Spam with Garlic that heard so much about and as people in angling are very inventive I thought I would ask I was planning on using a bit of spaghetti as a stop if I hair rigged it
If you have Garlic Spam you got a good bait, but I am sure you realise that, thing with Spam in the warmer months it can be frustrating as it won't hold on the hook, no matter what you do, but in a way that can help because the more accessible the meat is the more bites you get. I use a Korda PVA Tube holder (small) to punch the meat whilst it is still in the tin, by taking the lid off, this helps to form the meat and make it more compact. Just break off the length you prefer. I only ever underarm cast my meat rigs, anything else will normally see it fly off.
I only ever open the tin just prior to fishing, this works for me, as bite will come almost at an instant. Spaghetti is a good stop, and I do use that as well, also fits into the bit box easily.
I find meat is the top bait for Barbel, and will get you bites when all else fails, it certainly has accounted for my bigger barbel.
Good Luck.

For hair rigging small rawlplug or bigger lumps of meat obviously bigger rawlplug... I use the the ones with what i would call "barbs" on the sides,, these are made not to pull out of a hole that has been drilled.. I make a hole in the rim of the rawlplug with a baiting needle, tie it onto the hair and then push into lump of meat, really does work well...

Hi Gerry

I've run out of garlic spam where did you buy yours?
I use enterprise meat mate or pellet pegs for hair rigging both work really well.
An apple corer will punch a good bait sized piece of meat.
I tend to use meat more in winter. In summer it is much softer

Try superglue Gerry if you’re hair rigging, sticks together brilliantly.

Just cut/break your intended bait in two, push back together firmly on either side of the hair when glue applied.

It works and will not come off.

I guard my remaining Fox Meat Stops ( the pink ones), oh I wish they were still available especially in the larger sizes, i’m running low now unfortunately

BTW.... if you're using your meat in amounts greater than 1/2 a tin I'd suggest #/0 size hooks

Back