• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hot weather approach

Chris Avis

No Longer a Member
Hi peeps, what with this latest heat wave and more to come I just thought I'd ask about what your approach to a hot day is. Personally I will try a well oxygenated area below a weir.

How do you do it and do you avoid slow deep stretches with low oxygen contents?

Chris.

Fish late into dark, fish in shorts, re joy the scents and summer nights, 10 weeks and it will be autumn!

Pete I do enjoy the scents and sounds of the summer evenings, if I was to wear shorts I'd get eaten alive by every insect, I seem to have an affliction with them plus on my local stretch its the off at dark rule however I'm moving up nearer to the Severn so perhaps a BAA night ticket is on the cards with an all in one mossie suit.

I'm a big fan of moving baits in such conditions or fishing at dusk. I added a post to my blog only today discussing the merits of rolling meat in difficult conditions.

Hi peeps, what with this latest heat wave and more to come I just thought I'd ask about what your approach to a hot day is. Personally I will try a well oxygenated area below a weir.

How do you do it and do you avoid slow deep stretches with low oxygen contents?

Chris.

Barbel should not be targeted full stop in weather like this. There are plenty of other, more tolerant species to go and fish for. To fish for them at the moment is purely selfish.

But Chris surely with oxygen levels as low as they are ALL fish deserve a break? Just an opinion like, personally I wont be fishing in this weather as its too hot for me even after dark if I ventured elsewhere.

But Chris surely with oxygen levels as low as they are ALL fish deserve a break? Just an opinion like, personally I wont be fishing in this weather as its too hot for me even after dark if I ventured elsewhere.

It is a well known fact species such as Carp and Tench are able to tolerate low oxygen levels. Most commercial fisheries have airators as well so the fish should cope fine.

It is a well known fact species such as Carp and Tench are able to tolerate low oxygen levels. Most commercial fisheries have airators as well so the fish should cope fine.

Chris I despise commercials, My question was aimed at the river folk on here, thanks for te reply though

Back