• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooks

Chris Allcock

I use fox arma point at the mo, can anyone suggest any better, or am I better off sticking with these?

Thanks

You'll get plenty of answers ! I lost all faith in Arma Points after a series of Hookpulls !
Derided by many but I like the Drennan Barbel Hooks ! Especially the fact that they come in 'in-between sizes' i.e. 7's,9's,11's etc.

"The hook" from Pallatrax. No nonsense strong little devils, good shape.
As a greedy Yorkshireman, the price is good as well :)

My god, how many different types of hooks i must have used over the years, some have created a few problems, for example, the Drennan barbel hooks have blunted when fishing over gravel, i have now stuck to two types of hook, one is the Drennan continental boilie hook, this hook is great when using large baits such as meat and bread, the other is a hook that Phil Nixon put me on to, and that is the Gardner COVERT Talon Tip, i use this hook in the smaller sizes, 12 and 10's these hooks are strong,and do not blunt over gravel, this is because of the inturned point, buy yourself a packet and give them a go.....When buying make sure they are COVERT, this makes a big difference.
good luck.
Brian.

My god, how many different types of hooks i must have used over the years, some have created a few problems, for example, the Drennan barbel hooks have blunted when fishing over gravel, i have now stuck to two types of hook, one is the Drennan continental boilie hook, this hook is great when using large baits such as meat and bread, the other is a hook that Phil Nixon put me on to, and that is the Gardner COVERT Talon Tip, i use this hook in the smaller sizes, 12 and 10's these hooks are strong,and do not blunt over gravel, this is because of the inturned point, buy yourself a packet and give them a go.....When buying make sure they are COVERT, this makes a big difference.
good luck.
Brian.
I've had a look at these Gardner covert talon tips they look the mutts nuts think il b trying these.

I use fox arma point at the mo, can anyone suggest any better, or am I better off sticking with these?

Thanks

Chris, this is a very subjective question, you'll get as many opinions as there are hooks and I wonder how many are the same hook but packaged differently !! ??
The old saying of "if it's not broken, don't fix it" should be applied in my opinion...unless you have reason to distrust what you have been using then stick with it until you have to change.....there, another opinion !!!!:eek:

I use these hooks, I havent seen a finer hook in 8s and 6s so far.

Teflon Rapier Series Carp Fishing Hooks - Click Here! | eBay

if you can find me a better one pm me for my address to try.

Me too Jon, since your last post many months ago about these (Belated thanks ;) )I was using Korda wide gapes - these are sharper (and cheaper)

His trebles are ok too - not in an Owner class, but more than adequate for my needs. (i.e I've not yet cursed the hook for a lost fish :D)

Last edited:
Been using E-S-P Raptor T-6 and never had a problem with them ...
The only problem I do have ..... They told me in my local tackle shop they have stoped producing them .

ESP Raptor D7's. Happy for last 5 years. Very very few hook pulls.

Size 8 and 9's for boilies/pellet and 10's for maggs.

Just had a look at the ones suggested by Jon/Steve above, the Rapier Teflon. Looks a similar pattern and a bit cheaper so will have a tryout with these now as well.

Graham

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
To echo Bill's point above, if it ain't broke don't fix it-why are you looking for an alternative? Is there anything specifically that has happened for you to look for new hooks?
For what its worth I use ESP Raptor wide gapes, size 10 barbless-not lost a barbel for 2 seasons, though have bought Korda barbless hooks (not sure the exact pattern) in wide gape pattern simply because they were in a size 12, though when I lined them up against the ESP's the hooks were the same size, so will keep using the ESP's until I have a problem.

Cheers DT

Hi Chris,
To echo Bill's point above, if it ain't broke don't fix it-why are you looking for an alternative? Is there anything specifically that has happened for you to look for new hooks?
For what its worth I use ESP Raptor wide gapes, size 10 barbless-not lost a barbel for 2 seasons, though have bought Korda barbless hooks (not sure the exact pattern) in wide gape pattern simply because they were in a size 12, though when I lined them up against the ESP's the hooks were the same size, so will keep using the ESP's until I have a problem.

Cheers DT

The fox arma's seem to blunt a little to easy for my liking, so was jus interested as to what fellow barbel anglers where using.

Cheers for the reply

The fox arma's seem to blunt a little to easy for my liking, so was jus interested as to what fellow barbel anglers where using.

Cheers for the reply

I assume you are using one of the straight point versions then Chris? Straight points have the advantage of improved hooking mechanics, but the price you pay for that is the increased vulnerability of the point, which is more noticeable on hard or gravelly bottoms combined with moving water. Such is life fella :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back