• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooklinks again

To be honest catching chub over 5lb I'm finding relatively easy on the Avon no matter what tactics or bait I use, they are my blank saver! The barbel though are a different matter. I am over thinking things massively though so just need to fish I nice simple rig and be done with it.

Hi guys, during my sessions I'm messing around trying different hooklinks too much rather than just sticking with one. So, what's the general choice?

Braid
Coated braid (tungsten coated too)
Mono
Fluoro

And what sort of lengths? I try long ones just because that's what I've read but I don't get the point cause if I've found a clear spot then a long hooklink could be in weed.

And if you use braid or coated braid, would you change in low clear conditions?
Hi Mark. I use a nylon or fluro hooklink not noticed any real difference but I then tie in a short piece of braid ( usually Drennan Gravel Braid or Bank Tackle which is a bit more robust if I feel it's needed). I use a carefully tied 4 turn water knot to join the two though many use a swivel (I trust my own knots more than I trust a size 11 swivel). I leave a tag of nylon on which I pinch a small shot to settle it amongst the gravel ( without any proof it makes any difference). Works for me. 🙂

Hi Mark. I use a nylon or fluro hooklink not noticed any real difference but I then tie in a short piece of braid ( usually Drennan Gravel Braid or Bank Tackle which is a bit more robust if I feel it's needed). I use a carefully tied 4 turn water knot to join the two though many use a swivel (I trust my own knots more than I trust a size 11 swivel). I leave a tag of nylon on which I pinch a small shot to settle it amongst the gravel ( without any proof it makes any difference). Works for me. 🙂
I use this arrangement in all water conditions. Generally I use a hooklink about 2 1/2 - 3 foot but will use a 9 inch hooklink with a backlead 3 foot above on occasion if there's weed that might hang up a longer hooklink or if I need to sink the rod to avoid drifting weed etc because it may provide more positive hooking. If you have very clear water and wary fish I recommend the Fox Illusion fluro but it's easy to over think it all. A friend of mine caught a very big Barbel on a 12 Inch hooklink with no backlead.

I would have to disagree that rigs don’t matter ……at the start of last season out of our five man syndicate for the first 3 weeks I couldn’t buy a bite when the other 4 members were catching every trip we were all fishing the same spots and 3 of us were on the same bait
The only difference was I started to use /experiment with lead free leadcore……as soon as I switched back to tungsten tubing it was like someone had flicked a switch and I started catching straightaway

I mostly use a combi hook length comprising 15lb amnesia, to a 2 inch 15lb braided hook length. I fish the Ribble which is snaggy as hell and think the Amnesia is far more abrasion resistant compared to mono (and is cheap!).

I might switch to mono or flouro in daylight in very clear water if I was struggling, but always feel more confident of landing a fish on the combo rig.

Back