• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooklengths

Peter Brownbill

Seeing as the weather is poor today and I’m not working I was wondering what everyone use hooklengths wise . My Fave used to be soft ghost but I’m now on kryston I love Fluorocarbon , what do you use

Bank Tackle have just released a fluorocarbon. I'm using the 10lb stuff (about 0.32 dia or there abouts). I've had 3 doubles on it in the space of a fortnight and it has been flawless.

£6.99 a 20m spool compared to what? £8 for Korda IQ? Use 'FISH10' code for 10% off so that's £6.30 for the Bank Tackle stuff, free delivery. Every little helps and all that ;)

I use Berkley Trilene xl in 10lb. It's clear, knots well, durable, thinnish for a "normal" line and the barbel don't care that it's not as flexible as braid.

Maxima Brown Chameleon in 10bs, used it for years as barbel hooklengths, never let me down, it's a little bit stiff as well and never get any tangles to speak of, use 12lbs same maxima for a little heavier snag work if i need to...

Depends on where I'm fishing. I will use Fluoro (Grand Max Soft Plus, 10.4lb/0.22mm) in clear, low water conditions, but I see no point in using an 'invisible' line in deeper water/low light conditions. But I'm just as happy with Drennan Microbraid (10-12lb). I'll use coated braid in rocky/snaggy deep water situations, and for maximum abrasion resistance (e.g. trundling/rolling meat) I'll use Profish Ghostline mono (12 or 15lb).

Depends what I have at the time, I am not bothered particularly about what brand of Mono or flouro I use, so long as it knots well, although I will not use low diameter , far too risky on a rocky /snaggy river. If I avoid low diameter, and I do, I can say that over perhaps the last 30 plus years of fishing I have not come across any mono that is not up to par. I even on occasion use the 15 lb mono that I load my beach multis with....... bright yellow, and have not actually noticed a reduction in catches, although to stop other anglers being snooty and disparaging, I tend not to use it much. I use any coloured mono I have for sea angling hooklengths and there is no difference in results either.

I will not use braid.

David.

Back