• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

hooklength length???

Wayne Glossop

Hi lads, i appreciate that this might have been done before. Why is there controversy over ththe length of the hooklength. I mainly fish the tidal trent and a local narrow slow flowing river. On the trent i have always been lead to believe that a long hooklength is is needed, however on the local river iv always used a short hooklength. Iv caught on both rivers, but just wondering what reason if any why i shouldnt use a short hooklength on the trent (2ft)?
Kind regards

wayne i think it maybe all about the speed of flow in the river, the more flow the longer the hooklength, also take into consideration the volume of fish around,, ie if your getting bites in quick sucsession you could always shorten the hooklength,, hope this helps, cheers tony

Use whatever it takes on the day. If that happens to be a two inch hooklength or three feet, so be it. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, as long as I know it's a safe rig for the fish.

However, I'm not convinced that there really is any controversy over the length of hooklengths on the Trent, or any other river. Use whatever works.

Suppose the rig used can also affect the length ofthe hooklength, when using a fixed lead theres nothing stopping the fish swimming up river with the hooklength without it even registering on the rod so in my theory iv tied some 2 foot hooklengths as appose to 4-5 ft hooklengths, hopefully it might be more effective if not il change back to whats worked.

I've just started using 4' hooklinks on the Severn & Wye, I have done fairly well with them so far. My view is that the longer the length then the fish are further away from the feeder and probably more importantly the main line so there is less chance of them spooking on the main line.

I seldom use more than a 10 inch hook length but sometimes go up to 2 feet maximum. I have also had a lot of success using a 3 - 4inch hooklink with an inline feeder, much the same as I use for tench. Extra long hooklinks have apparrently proved the answer on some hard fished stretches though.

I try to gauge the conditions to determine my hooklength particularly with a feeder. The faster the flow, the longer the h/l I will tend to use to keep the feed around the bait. I will also take into account the clarity of the water e.g. if using a lead; having a longer h/l in clearer conditions than if heavily coloured. I will also change the length if nothing is happening.

An example was this weekend; after nothing on a 4' h/l I moved up to 5' and started catching; albeit smallish chub up to 2lb. When I upped it again to 7' larger chub and barbs came on around the 4lb - 6lb mark respectively.

Not sure if it was down to luck, judgement or something else. One thing I do tend to find that helps is keeping the bait & h/l nailed down as best as possible.

As with most things I guess it is a mixture of trial and error on the day and personal preference and what you are confident with. As long as the rig is safe of course!

For me it depends on which rivers Im fishing and is probably more of a confidence thing.On the kennet Im happier with a long hooklength ot around 3ft and keeping everything pinned down to avoid line in the feeding area.I have heard some interesting theories on such rivers as the Trent and Wye(when it gets hard) that fish tend to back off the feeder and just pick up the freebees and a two rod system of a feeder and the second rod with just a lead and a hookbait downstream works.

If I was a fish I would head for the main source of the scent/smell which I had locked onto.
Perhaps more important than we realise what actually goes in the feeder ie feed and attractor , what you want it to do and what it actually does ?
Long hook lengths not for me but guess they can be be the answer on occassions.

Do people factor in what they might have between the lead/feeder and the mainline- ie some sort of weighted leader material (not talking leadcore here)? Some people swear by backleads of course-I generally swear at them as I find them a pain unless fishing under the nearside bank. I do prefer using a hooklength of under 2ft if I can but do like the idea of there being a good 4ft plus between the hook and the point at which the mainline enters the water. I am less concerned about this when the light fades or there is good colour in the water.

Mark T said

"If I was a fish I would head for the main source of the scent/smell which I had locked onto.
Perhaps more important than we realise what actually goes in the feeder ie feed and attractor , what you want it to do and what it actually does ?"

Spot on Mark. Depends if your feed is rushing down the river or being slow release.

I use 9" to 1' 6" pretty much all the time including the Trent.

I will reduce it too 6" in heavy pushing water as I want the bait pinned down not flaffing around.

Graham

Mark T said

"If I was a fish I would head for the main source of the scent/smell which I had locked onto.
Perhaps more important than we realise what actually goes in the feeder ie feed and attractor , what you want it to do and what it actually does ?"

Spot on Mark. Depends if your feed is rushing down the river or being slow release.

I use 9" to 1' 6" pretty much all the time including the Trent.

I will reduce it too 6" in heavy pushing water as I want the bait pinned down not flaffing around.

Graham

Flaffing ? please define :D Lengths anywhere between 6" and 4 ft depending on the situation and what i am trying to achieve.

Hi Simon.

In heavy and especially coloured water I think the barbel stick pretty well hard on the bottom. I believe that a short hooklink prevents it Flaffing (waving) around too much. I think I made the word up.:D

Thanks Simon.
I did know the word before, used when someone is apparantly busy but achieving/contributing nothing, I just thought it worked in that context.

I think Crooky meant farting.

Graham

Flaffing..."Engaging in Aimless unproductive activity". I think that pretty well describes the frantic fluttering action of your bait when a long link is used in heavy water, which was what Graham was using the word to illustrate...so perhaps not used in the wrong context after all :p:D

Cheers, Dave.

Flaffing..."Engaging in Aimless unproductive activity". I think that pretty well describes the frantic fluttering action of your bait when a long link is used in heavy water, which was what Graham was using the word to illustrate...so perhaps not used in the wrong context after all :p:D

Cheers, Dave.

I have difficulty working out how a lump of spam can conciously decide to be 'aimless and unproductive' hence it engaging in a spot of 'Flafffing' so i stand by my guns Dave :p

It does however seem an appropriate term to describe the actions of most fishermen ? certainly i have 'flaffed' a bit in my time :D

Back