• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooklength/ Hair- rig storage

Richard Garbett

No doubt its been asked for numerous times, but what do you keep your hooklinks in? I've just tied a dozen up after getting through a silly amount on the rocks last week, now not sure how to keep them good. Does anyone use that Korum maxi rig box? Looks OK for a tenner.
P.S. When I say lost to rocks, I mean I replaced with new and took worn rigs home to be destroyed 🙂

Get small sealable bags off ebay. You can get 100 for a couple of quid. I then put a little card inside stating the braking strain of the hook length.
I've got a drawer full of bags (I tie and sell trout flies) Still can't believe it didn't enter my mind. They have the white bands for writing on too so I can do as you are saying.👍

Unless you use short rigs then all the rig box’s I’ve seen are useless. I tend to make my rigs up on the bank but always make one at home to save time when I get there and just curl it up in a bag
Use a greys prodigy rig box,had it for years, has storage for anti tangle sleeves and spare hooklength pegs as well

Greys rig board
IMHO there is no better solution.
once you’ve used one you’ll wonder how you ever managed without one.
not sure if you can still get them now.

I like various length combi rigs so I have a long length of pipe lagging that I can store inside my chair the hooks are hooked into the end of the foam and the line hangs down inside

If its the Prodigy advanced rig box, yes. Just found one.
I’m not sure mate because they did a couple
One was big that you could rap long rigs round and the other was less than useless for long rigs
The one I have says it’s out of stock or discontinued in most places so check to be sure.
E5907858-45CC-4308-89DA-9562AD1D0C82.jpeg

Unless you use short rigs then all the rig box’s I’ve seen are useless. I tend to make my rigs up on the bank but always make one at home to save time when I get there and just curl it up in a bag

The rig box I use is 12" with pegs to make shorter hook links. It is fine for my use as I have separate furled leaders of differing lengths and strengths stored in coils inside bags as described. So the rig box is only used for the hook links and is very handy.

Guru rig box
There are much cheaper variants of this box and can be considerably cheaper. I bought a Guru (£13), an NGT (£9) and a.n.other at £6 from the local tackle shop. I use them for hook lengths from 6ft to 12". What I like about them is there is no restriction to the lengths you use, the hook slips into the hook-link of the previous hook-link and is then rotated around the spool. When you use one, you replace the pin into the end of the hook-link of the previous one.

Back