• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hooking Chum Mixers

David Potter

I'm Going to have a go at floater fishing for Carp during the rest of the close season but wondering what it the best way of hooking / mounting a Chum mixer on the hook and casting at distance ?
Your advice would be appreciated
Regards
Dave

just stick em on a long shank hook, but not a heavy hook, i used to soak mine for 1 minute the night before, drain well, wrap in tight in a bag and stick em in the fridge, by the morning they will go soft but to soft to fall off, the reason for the longshank is they will swell in the water, i caught 88 carp on a quite a hard water in 3 summers.

Thanks Guys for the info it worked well !
Just returned from a short session after work and managed 6 carp to 14lbs all on the surface,well pleased considering the conditions today !
I do have another question but ill start a new thread i think
Dave

I stick em on using tiny little bands. I get mine in bulk from my niece who has braces and gets given packets and packets everytime she visits the dentist.

Bakers Meaty Meals!

meaty%20meals.jpg

Soft enough to hook them with a large hook, say a size 4 or so and casts a long distance due to the weight, even without a controller.

I had a good run on them with the local canal carp last year. Come in chicken or beef but I prefer the latter as they are a little more pungent. Not sure the fish mind either way!

Haven't seen the carp on the top much this year but hopefully will give it a go after they spawn.

Stephen

I'm quite a fan of the fake ones. They stay on forever, don't take on water and seem to attract attention. The other selling point is that you can nick the hook in the top and because of the way they are balanced it means the hook is never in sight of the fish. I managed a new PB carp last night off the top using this very method. A modest pb at 18lb but I'm a part time carper. Managed six fish to just over 14lb on the previous visit sand have been using this method for several years for surface fishing. There's a pic on the blog.

Back